Gunmounted Torches

Muzzelman

I have a EDI-T P4-250 torch AND an Eagletac T100C2 MKII and they are both great. I find these days I prefer to have the Eagletac on the rifle and the EDI-T in my pocket. They are both CREE torches and out power most other torches.

To say an LED torch is crap is just plain ridiculous. Maybe if you're comparing a $2 multi-LED torch you buy off the front counter of your local Servo or Hardware store. Then yes they are crap. But we aren't talking about those sorts of LED torch.

had a look at the eagletac t100c2 mk2 and looks pretty impressive at half the price of the wolfeyes.

just wondering with the weapons kit, what options i need on top of that as i want to use 18650 batteries. do i need to buy the batt and charger seperately and cool or neutral lens?

I've compared the cool and neutral lights side by side and the neutral has more of the yellowish tint that regular torches have, while the cool is that very slightly blue-white light that many LED's have. The idea of the neutral tint is that it doesn't refract off dust and mist as much as the cool tine. To my eye, the cool tint seems to shine a tad further at night and I prefer the cool tint.

I would just get the base torch, and get the batteries, charger, plug adaptor and rubber mount I linked earlier from Deal Extreme.

You won't be disappointed with an Eagletac T100C2.

hey fenring, you mentioned the solarforce L2 earlier being able to upgrade lenses and add extra batteries. does the eagletac have these upgrade options later on?

between the two, which one would you pick.

I've compared the cool and neutral lights side by side and the neutral has more of the yellowish tint that regular torches have, while the cool is that very slightly blue-white light that many LED's have. The idea of the neutral tint is that it doesn't refract off dust and mist as much as the cool tine. To my eye, the cool tint seems to shine a tad further at night and I prefer the cool tint.

I would just get the base torch, and get the batteries, charger, plug adaptor and rubber mount I linked earlier from Deal Extreme.

You won't be disappointed with an Eagletac T100C2.

+1

My Eagletac is the cool white version.

I just bought the basic torch kit and got the nylon mount from DX, while I bought the 18650 batteries (x2) and charger from Ebay.

+1

I just bought the basic torch kit and got the nylon mount from DX, while I bought the 18650 batteries (x2) and charger from Ebay.

I saw on eBay that you can get two 18650's (3000 MAh), the charger and an adapter for less than the price of the batteries that DealExtreme is selling.

EDIT: Is the EagleTac T100C MkII Brighter than a P7?

Edited by ShadowAssassin

hey fenring, you mentioned the solarforce L2 earlier being able to upgrade lenses and add extra batteries. does the eagletac have these upgrade options later on?

between the two, which one would you pick.

Well, I have the T100C2 and a few L2's. The most direct comparison would be a Solarforce L2 fitted with a Cree XR-E R2 LED module and with a smooth reflector - which I have. You can get P60 (the size and type of drop-in that the L2 takes) modules with a Cree XP-E LED for the L2 but I don't have one and they don't seem to have made much of a ripple in torch geek circles. :D

Having used both on the .22 under identical conditions, the Eagletac will throw a bit further than the L2. There are a couple of reasons for this, one is because the XP-E emitter it uses concentrates much of the light into a tighter hotspot, though there is still good side spill. This is also a function of the deeper reflector that the Eagletac has. Secondly, Eagletac don't overstate the output of their lights like many makers do. The T100C2 claims to put out 230 lumens and real world tests by certain reviewers show this to be correct.

The L2 set up as I described above will let you shoot out to 100m, no ifs or buts and it works well on a .22 - it would fall short on a rifle for longer ranges however. As I said, the L2 can be upgraded as new led emitters come out and modules are made. There are even people making custom modules for P60 sized torches like the L2. Essentially, every bit on an L2 can be replaced if it breaks. Switch, lens, and of course the LED module itself. You can even unscrew just the reflector and change that, or drop in an aspheric lens. I even have an L2 with a red LED unit. On top of all this, you can buy the Solarforce Pro1 head to attach to an L2 which converts it into one of the best long range throwers you can buy. So there is all that to consider.

If you shop around on eBay, you can get an L2, LED module, batteries and charger for about $60 delivered.

I saw on eBay that you can get two 18650's (3000 MAh), the charger and an adapter for less than the price of the batteries that DealExtreme is selling.

I have had a play with Led Lenser P7's and have been underwhelmed. A p7 with the best AAA batteries you can buy, fresh, will project its focused hot spot further than the Eagletac. But - after an our or two of use I expect the Eagletac will hold the advantage as it's voltage regulated and will hold a constant brightness for around three hours non stop on full power.

I have comfortably shot rabbits with my Eagletac using the low 60 lumen setting, at shorter ranges or when the bunnies are jumpy. Ultimately, if I had to choose between and L2 and the Eagletac, I'd take the Eagletac as it does its job just so well and the quality is excellent.

I have had a play with Led Lenser P7's and have been underwhelmed. A p7 with the best AAA batteries you can buy, fresh, will project its focused hot spot further than the Eagletac. But - after an our or two of use I expect the Eagletac will hold the advantage as it's voltage regulated and will hold a constant brightness for around three hours non stop on full power.

I have comfortably shot rabbits with my Eagletac using the low 60 lumen setting, at shorter ranges or when the bunnies are jumpy. Ultimately, if I had to choose between and L2 and the Eagletac, I'd take the Eagletac as it does its job just so well and the quality is excellent.

Now look what you have done fenring. I am going to have to get another torch now :P:lol: :lol:

I can't compare it to a P7 as I have never had or used one. But I like it a lot.

Yes that is what I got off eBay. 2 batteries + charger + AU plug adapter as a "kit". I don't recall how much, but it was very cheap. The batteries were Ultrafire batteries too, just like on DX.

+1

+2!

I have the Eagletac, the WolfEyes Sniper and the Ultrafire WF002.

The EagleTac is the better all rounder of these 3 torches and is well suited to both my HMR and .22.

In order of throw distance it is:

Ultrafire

EagleTac

Wolf Eyes

In terms of Spill:

Wolf Eyes

EagleTac

Ultrafire (it has virtually none!)

+2!

I have the Eagletac, the WolfEyes Sniper and the Ultrafire WF002.

The EagleTac is the better all rounder of these 3 torches and is well suited to both my HMR and .22.

In order of throw distance it is:

Ultrafire

EagleTac

Wolf Eyes

In terms of Spill:

Wolf Eyes

EagleTac

Ultrafire (it has virtually none!)

Yeah I prefer the Eagletac on my rifle for that reason. The EDI-T has the push-pull focus, but it only really stays "on focus" at full flood or full spot. At full spot it has ZERO spill, but a very strong concentrated spot beam, that is good for nearly 200m. The Eagletac won't throw that far, but has sufficient side spill to help pick up or track bunnies/foxes more easily.

For anyone interested, the newest Cree XM-L LED emitter is starting to appear in the P60 modules like the Solarforce L2 takes. Early on, these are lookig impressive, with around 600L on a single 18650 battery in the first modules out there. These should provide a good mix of spot and spill, and I might grab one to try out. Someone's done a bit of a review on a Kaidomain module here.

http://budgetlightforum.cz.cc/node/898?page=1

had a good look at the solarforcel2 web site and have now discovered that the l2 parts and accessories fit the surefire 6p which i already have!

now fenring, you can upgrade to the 320lms xp6 cree or the sst.50 670lms and theres even a 900lms in there somewhere. whats this all about?

i looked at the pro head1 and that seems to be a ripper but not sure if it will clear my scope when mounted and it really seems to suck the juice unless you buy the battery extension and have up to 4 18650 batteries running which i thought was a brilliant idea. your right mate, there so much you can do with the l2/6p all at a reasonable price.

which one of the led bulbs should i upgrade to, bit overwhelmed. :blink:

Well that saves you some trouble and money then. :)

The XPG is a newer LED emitter, it has fairly decent throw (range) but also some spill. Prior to this, the most popular LED for throw was the XRE paired up with a smooth reflector. This gives a slightly tighter hot spot and a tad more throw than the XPG but a little less spill. I have both the XPG and XRE modules and the XRE will out throw the XPG by a slight margin, especially if the XRE has a smooth reflector fitted to it. So the XRE is still the pick out of those two for maximum range.

The newest XML will outdo them both however, these are available on Kaidomain. I might have to get one. :)

The SST50 is a much bigger LED chip, not really suited to the small reflector of the P60 sized drop-ins as the reflector can't focus the big emitter all that well so you get a floody sort of light. Also, the big emitter generates a fair bit of heat and the small module heats up which is not good and not ideal as a hunting light that might be on for long periods.

So for your application, the XRE or XPG is the way to go at this point unless you want to wait for an XML. Given that the XRE and XPG modules are only about $16 why wait? :D

Now, I'm assuming your Surefire runs on two CR123 batteries? If that's the case, you'll need a module that can handle that sort of voltage (CR123's put out 3.7V each, so two batteries in series = 7.4V.) So you need one of the modules with a voltage range of at least 7.4V at the upper end. There are high and low voltage versions of the modules. You'll want the high voltage (4.2 - 8.4V) The low voltage (0.8 - 4.2V) are intended for a single battery (usually the bigger 18650 which is 3.7V)

So either this XPG http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Solarforce-320Lms-XP-G-Cree-Led-3-18V-Bulb-4-Surefire-/280562500509?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item4152d4039d

or this XRE (this one will likely throw further) http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Solarforce-300Lms-R2-Cree-Led-Bulb-4-Surefire-6P-9P-G2-/280428612771?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item414ad90ca3

These should both be single mode modules (high) which are nice and simple for a hunting light and won't see you accidentally switching a strobe on when you want to shoot a fox. :D

This bloke also sells rechargeable CR123 batteries and the charger to suit.

checked out the kaidomain site and found this ' CREE XML T6 1000 LUMEN 3V-18V 1 MODE LED DROP IN', this is the one you talking about?

being clueless about torches i ordered the 18650x2 batts and charger already. will these batts suit the xml running one 18650 or you think get the tube extension and run both or count my loses and get the cr123 rechargeables?

no, turning strobe mode on a fox would be pretty uncool. :lol:

ooo...just ordered the xml last night. didnt realise the 18650 dont fit in the cr123 tubes. thats gonna be a bit of a problem. :o

Yes, it will. Just bite the bullet and order an 18650 body for the XML you have ordered.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Solarforce-L2-BK-CR123A-186-50-Flashlight-Body-/280560024381?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item4152ae3b3d

Here's a review, with beamshots, of the new XML unit compared to the XRE and XPG's. It's a much bigger LED emitter than the XRE and XPG, which means more flood but it seems to put a fair bit of light out to a distance, too. The XRE is the one that has the tightest centre spot beam, the XPG a bit more overall output but more flood so not as much apparent throw, and the new XML which just seems to put out a lot more light.

http://budgetlightforum.cz.cc/node/977

I think I'll have to get me one of these. :D