Gunmounted Torches

Muzzelman

hi all. looking at buying myself these LED scopemounted torches and choosing between the ZEUS Q5 FOXHUNTER and WOLFEYES 260 SNIPER.

does anyone out there have any experience with these two products and which one is worth spending my money on.

i be spotlighting rabbits on foot with a .22.

ive tried using my handheld cheapy LED torch once and found bunnies just bolt and dont look twice back!!!

LED torch any good or better with my lightforce170 running of my bike battery in a backpack?

Santa is bringing me the Wolfeye Sea Lion Hunter :lol:

Hurry up Xmas !!!

They are supposed to be very good, maybe a bit big for a .22 though... But one of the smaller ones would be great :D

I haven't heard of the other brand so i wont comment on it...

Just buy the best you can afford.

The Zeuss Fox Hunter is essentially a copy of a Solarforce L2, which you can buy on eBay for cheaper than what they want for the Zeuss. With the right LED module that sort of torch will let you shoot out to about 100m. They are also infinitely upgradeable as the entire LED module can be removed and replaced as new and better ones are produced. The other benefit of the L2 is that you can screw the Pro1 long range super thrower head on that will clearly light things up at 250m or more, and add an extension tube for a second battery.

The Wolf Eyes Sniper is an excellent light and the quality is a notch up, but then again it costs a lot more too.

For use on a .22 an LED torch is the way to go as you get all the range you need in a very compact package. I happily shoot out to 150m or more with my .17HMR with a long throwing LED torch.

Issues I have with the P7 are that it uses crappy AAA batteries (so you are always buying them or need to buy REALLY GOOD rechargeable AAA's), it's not electronicalyl regulated (so it starts to dim from the moment you turn it on) and they overstate the runtime dramatically. The 35mm body limits what mounts you can actually use with them, also.

Issues I have with the P7 are that it uses crappy AAA batteries (so you are always buying them or need to buy REALLY GOOD rechargeable AAA's), it's not electronicalyl regulated (so it starts to dim from the moment you turn it on) and they overstate the runtime dramatically. The 35mm body limits what mounts you can actually use with them, also.

I bought an Ultrafire U4-MCU (200 lumens) which can run off 2x CR123's, 1x 18650 Rechargable Lithium battery or 3x AAA's and I only ever use it with the rechargeable batteries. You Pay more upfront for the batteries and the charger but in the long run it saves you money and a lot of hassles. I also just bought an Ultrafire WF-008 (230 lumens) and some more rechargeable batteries a couple of weeks ago for 30 dollars. I would love to have a Wolf Eyes torch, but I really just can't justify spending that much money on a torch that it would be more expensive than the scope its sitting on. :blink:

Just my 2c

Edited by ShadowAssassin

Led's are crap you want a torch with an Xenon globe the others are to dull.

Clearly the hundreds of rabbits, foxes, cats, hares and pigs I've shot with my dull LED torches out to 150m or more must have been covered in glow in the dark paint then...

I've also been looking for a scope mounted torch for my .22lr don't really wanna spend upwards of $100 though. What do people suggest?

I use the Ultrafire U4-MCU (200 lumens), for 40 bucks I got the torch, 2 rechargaeble batteries, a charger and 2 velcro mounts. Great Value. The torch is good for rabbits to about 100m. I recently bought a WF-008 that has 230 lumens for a bit extra punch.

links:

WF-008

U4-MCU (They must have upgraded since I got mine as it is now advertised as having 230 lumens)

Clearly the hundreds of rabbits, foxes, cats, hares and pigs I've shot with my dull LED torches out to 150m or more must have been covered in glow in the dark paint then...

Yea of course. Havent you ever noticed? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by ShadowAssassin

Yep, those will both do just fine on a budget. The WF008 throws a very tight spot a long way.

Charger:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13820

Batteries: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20392

Nylon scope mount: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12000 Will work fine with both the torches shadowassassin posted, and scopes up to about 50mm. Can also atach to barrel, or even a shotgun barrel/

Adaptor (the charger above has a US style plug) http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2296

Yep, those will both do just fine on a budget. The WF008 throws a very tight spot a long way.

Charger:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13820

Batteries: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20392

Nylon scope mount: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12000 Will work fine with both the torches shadowassassin posted, and scopes up to about 50mm. Can also atach to barrel, or even a shotgun barrel/

Adaptor (the charger above has a US style plug) http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2296

+1 for the mounts, they are incredibly versatile.

I've got a wolfeyes 260 sniper that's on my mates 22mag. It works great out to about 100m but that is definately its limit.

It will light up eyes a fair bit further but its hard to identify your target.

Excellent quality as was already said and very light. I also use a p7 as hand held and i think that it would be too heavy on a .22 scope.

The wolfeyes is mounted over a stainless barrel and does reflect into the scope that may have some bearing on the distance you can see objects.

lol @ the comment about LED's being too dull. Maybe the first generation, but the new ones are getting ridiculous.

This is the best $43 I've spent. Trustfire 1200 No way it is 1200 lumen, but significantly brighter than my LED Lenser P7. Add a few rechargeable 18650's and a charger and you are laughing. I also use the Deal Extreme velcro mounts, can't beat them.

Led's are crap you want a torch with an Xenon globe the others are to dull.

hehe....what a joke....actually you want a CREE chip mate!!

I love the EDI-T P15 I bought below. Focusable aspheric lens, cree chip, rechargeable Li-Ion battery, and comes in a kit with mounts, charger, pouch and spare battery. Good for spotlighting to beyond 100m.

See here - www.accurateshooters.com.au

M96

you boys all threw some extra spanners in the works and now i have to go and research these other brands i havent even heard of.

zenon globes aint gonna give the run time im after and they have to be rechargeable lithiums , otherwise it will cost a fortune to run.

price is not an issue as i believe in buy once, and buy good or buy cheap but twice.

i need a light thats gonna give a good concentrated beam than a flood beam out to 120 meters if possible.

you boys all threw some extra spanners in the works and now i have to go and research these other brands i havent even heard of.

zenon globes aint gonna give the run time im after and they have to be rechargeable lithiums , otherwise it will cost a fortune to run.

price is not an issue as i believe in buy once, and buy good or buy cheap but twice.

i need a light thats gonna give a good concentrated beam than a flood beam out to 120 meters if possible.

Then I believe the WF-008 will be the best out of the ones I have mentioned. I know a few blokes on hear use the torch and all of them have been happy with it and that's how I got onto it.

Also checkout the Batteries, Chargers, Mounts and Adapters that fenring posted as it is what I use. Check out DealExtreme.com as you can get all of that for a quarter of the cost of the Wolf Eyes Sniper 260.

But hey if you can afford it?

Edited by ShadowAssassin

Just to confuse you a bit more, here's a link to the torch that I got. After reading all Fenring's posts I was convinced and I love it. So do my 2 boys who got one each as well. Battery life is excellent even on constant full power and the quality is obvious. We've had some good success with them and I would recommend them. All the accessories ( Batteries, Charger, Scope mount) came from dealextreme. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Cheers, Darren.

http://www.illuminationgear.com/14322/26971.html

I have a EDI-T P4-250 torch AND an Eagletac T100C2 MKII and they are both great. I find these days I prefer to have the Eagletac on the rifle and the EDI-T in my pocket. They are both CREE torches and out power most other torches.

To say an LED torch is crap is just plain ridiculous. Maybe if you're comparing a $2 multi-LED torch you buy off the front counter of your local Servo or Hardware store. Then yes they are crap. But we aren't talking about those sorts of LED torch.