A Cool Gadget

G'day all,

Have been looking into back pack deer hunting, and have been sent a link for off info.

And on this link a bloke talks about a gadget like an EPIRB.

Heres the Gadgets link

http://au.findmespot.com/en/index.php

Anyone got one of these??

and what do they rekon worth getting or not??

By the quick read on the site they sound great.

cheers Cam

I recently read a few reviews and comparisons between the Spot and Other EPIRBs. The Spots seem to work well and allow you to send a pre-programmed message such as "I'm OK this is where I am <GPS fix>" whereas EPIRBs are for real emergencies only. The big problem with the Spot is that on top of the purchase price you have to subscribe to the service network also. The network is based in the US and all communications are routed through them. Also have a look at the specs regarding the frequency of messages sent and success rate. In a life threatening emergency it could still take some time for your message to be received.

The Spot purchase price is a fair bit less than an EPIRB. An EPIRB battery lasts (I think) 8 years - if you look at how much it would cost you to run the Spot over that period I'm sure you will find the EPIRB comes out in front. For my money I'd be getting a GSP equipped EPIRB.

From memory I think I just Googled 'EPIRB reviews' or 'EPIRB v spot' - there is a lot of info out there and some good comparisons too.

I recently read a few reviews and comparisons between the Spot and Other EPIRBs. The Spots seem to work well and allow you to send a pre-programmed message such as "I'm OK this is where I am <GPS fix>" whereas EPIRBs are for real emergencies only. The big problem with the Spot is that on top of the purchase price you have to subscribe to the service network also. The network is based in the US and all communications are routed through them. Also have a look at the specs regarding the frequency of messages sent and success rate. In a life threatening emergency it could still take some time for your message to be received.

The Spot purchase price is a fair bit less than an EPIRB. An EPIRB battery lasts (I think) 8 years - if you look at how much it would cost you to run the Spot over that period I'm sure you will find the EPIRB comes out in front. For my money I'd be getting a GSP equipped EPIRB.

From memory I think I just Googled 'EPIRB reviews' or 'EPIRB v spot' - there is a lot of info out there and some good comparisons too.

Gafloss, the GPS with thebuilt in EPIRB souds like the way to go. Do you know who makes these dual models?

Gafloss, the GPS with thebuilt in EPIRB souds like the way to go. Do you know who makes these dual models?

So there is no confusion, the GPS enabled EPIRB nad personal beacons do not have a user accessible gps in them. YOU cannot use it as a GPS, all it does is send your current co-ordinates along with the emergency signal.

So there is no confusion, the GPS enabled EPIRB nad personal beacons do not have a user accessible gps in them. YOU cannot use it as a GPS, all it does is send your current co-ordinates along with the emergency signal.

Thanks for clarifying Jindy, I thought that's what EPIRB's were suppose to do, where does the GPS part come into it?

A standard EPIRB or PLB will be heard by various satelites and your location triangulated by those satelites. It requires some time as the satelites have to move to figure out the triangulation, and there is plenty of room for error. With a gps device in your EPIRB the EPIRB knows already exactly where it is (a short time after activation) and the signal it sends out will contain your location information meaning that the rescue service can tell where you are more accuratly and also much quicker.