What Uhf Handheld?

Manny82

Sorry fireman but some of our UHF's are up to 15 years old so there is going to be a long change over time if you are going to wait for them to break down. It might be different in the city's but out here every one has a uhf in just about every car, truck, dozer, grader and so on. Who's going to replace all these. Just another govt stuff up. Oh well, back to smoke signals i guess. And this year there will be some big ones.

I never said how long it'd take for them to break!!! I've got an Icom 400Pro and I don't think it knows the definition of break. Luckily it's reprogrammable and I have a second UHF installed in the car, so I have both 80ch and 40ch. But I only have one hand-held, so I need to decide when to swap it over from 40ch to 80ch (Icom 41S, also reprogrammable).

So I got the uniden 076sx for $245. Was the best offer I could find. Can someone tell me the difference between the repeater output and input channels. Do I automatically use a repeater if I select the channel?

The repeater channels are 1-8 and 31-38.

In duplex (repeater) mode, the radio listens to channel 1, and will automatically transmit in channel 31.

If you turn duplex on and use simplex, it works like any other channel. Good if there's no repeater on that channel. HOWEVER, if you use simplex on channel 31 near a repeater, then everyone listening to channel 31 AND channel 1 in range of the repeater will here you.

Most radios are set to use duplex mode from the factory, your instruction manual will tell you which button to press turn turn duplex mode off.

General rules, if you don't need to repeater to reach the guy you're talking to, don't use it. Don't use simplex when in range of a repeater. Just in-case others want to use it who actually need it.

Hi there!

I was looking into getting a new UHF handheld radio. I got some older once but they got just 8 channels. I used them for motorbiking back home. I googled and found everything between 50 and $300, 40 to 77 channels. Are some of you using any? I mostly want to have it in case of an emergency and the mobile is out of network.

Looks like the new 77 channel route would be the go. I waiting to see if my Uniden UH076SX 5W is needing upgrading. Only had the bl%@dy thing 12 months. :growl: :growl: :growl: