Lansky 5 Stone Sharpening System

Taully

HI All,

Just thought i would tell everyone about the new Lansky sharpener i got in the mail yesterday.

Got it for a good price at Abelas and i have to say this system works the best of all the sharpeners i have ever had - from electric through the good old stone.

Even managed to put a razor 25degree edge on a cheap nasty back up knife i had in the gun box.

i can fully recommend it to any one who wants to have a no-brain sharpening system but still enjoys watching the TV and rubbing a blade on a stone.

Cheers

Paul

Yep, they work well. Takes a bit to initially get the shoulder angle right but from there on it only takes a few swipes with the finer stones to get a very usable (read razor-like) edge back.

Depends on how dull it is Cam. Ive used a set of 3 diamond hones on my hand made knives to put an initial edge on. Youll wear away an arcansis one pretty quick on modern steel.

Depends on how dull it is Cam. Ive used a set of 3 diamond hones on my hand made knives to put an initial edge on. Youll wear away an arcansis one pretty quick on modern steel.

When i was checking out their site yesterday I looked at the diamond one and the details said that the diamnond was pretty harshe on the knives and was good for putting a new edge or changing the angles.

and if you were just toping up a sharpen to use the other stone which i cant remember the name of.

with the diamond ones couldnt you just push lightly on it to it dosnt chew too much meat out??

Im probably better of with the diamond stones with a few new/handme down knifves in the house now and the kitchen knives.

what do you rekon?

I use diamond cards, then an oil stone followed up with a milk stone with a bit of spit or kero.

The Lansky thing must work ok, lots of guys seem to have them.

Whats the longest knife you can get into a lansky?

I reckon about 8" blade would be the realistic limit. I have used it on the big kitchen knife. I suppose you could move a longer blade up and down the holder but it would be a tedious job.

Grant