Leather Storage

optic

Ok you knife makers, How do you store your leather.

Flat or rolled up.

What is the best environment to store it in. IE The shed or in the house.

The reason i ask is that if you leave it rolled up, then lay it out. Trying to get a square edge while cutting is not easy as the memory is still in the Leather. Even if you hold it down while cutting.

This also ads to the problem of not getting the edger right, as the cut edge has a curl in the cut edge.. And makes the bevel look uneven.

I have now got it laying on the table with weights all over the hide.

For long term or short term. Is it better to have it flat, or rolled up. Also keeping in mind, maintaining the quality of the hide.

PS. I tried the hot water shrinkage thing yesterday. Lesson learn t.

Dont boil the jug to do it. Its far to hot and actually burns the leather. A type of blistered affect.

Hot water does shrink leather. But what is the ideal temp to do it?

Then drying time and how to dry it comes into play.

Any ideas?

Edited by optic

I brought some matt board for making picture frames awhile back and it came in a big flat box about and inchthick. Thats where my leather lives.

Optic you might try some research on "oiled leather". From memory there was some system of oiling with stuff like Dubbin while the leather was damp, the idea was preservation and conditioned leather for easier working I think.

Grant.

Thanks for that.

I have just built a new King size bed, For now ill store in under it.When the new shed extension happens. ill store it in the gun room flat.

Just on the bed. My wife is a short arse. She cant touch the floor when she sits on the bed and has to climb up onto it.

Now she wants me to saw the legs off.

There are 2 chances of that happening. FA and None.

Thanks Grant, ill look into it.

Edited by optic

Im glad you brought that up Henno.

Here i was thinking it was natural. You sure do shrink in the cold mate. :ass:

But then again dont we all.

Inverted is the word.

Whistler

If u need the water to be at a certain temp optic, let me know. I have the technology.

For all of those who read into my earlier post in the wrong way....

You should be ashamed!!!

Well, I'm ashamed :s