home-made Yowie suit

it might seem extreme for some, but believe me when trying to stalk within 20m of a deer with a recurve bow it makes all the dif being able to survive one 'stare' at least.

i can't afford those expensive ghillie suits (some of which don't survive getting dragged through spikey Aussie scrub and are meant for USA pine forest) so made my own.

if you have the money i'd recommend buying a suit unless you have a lotta time on hands (i don't but didn't really have a lotta choice) or access to someone with a sewing machine etc as it takes a lotta stitching.

i just bought some cheap beige/khaki workwear, painted it in black, green and brown similar to ASAT pattern, sowed in strips of cut up auscam and hessian, thrashed the hessian with a wire brush and rubbed camo cream (same colours as paint, auscam) into hessian.

the suit in pic (not a good pic as raining outside so indoor pic) will look better after a few days in scrub when hessian is weathered some. the best thing about hessian is that is does weather (wear out and look ratty and real natural) but that's also the worst aspect as you have to do what i just finished doing prior to pic - sowing more in (which constantly must keep doing - upgrading as wears away).

i did a similar thing with old green Aussie army bush hat (with a couple emu plumes for good measure (i was bored out bush one day when midday during heat)) and i use a bit of auscam scrim as a scarf around neck that i pull over face when i think game is close.

labour intensive but cheap and works well - just ask a few dead goats.

hope this is of interest for someone?

I like it good thing to make over a rainy weekend. Did you sew the material on by hand?

nice job champ, i made a sweet one but the missis chucked it when we moved (not happy)

ive got a few things that may be handy to potential yowie suite makers.

the best is a dvd i have called "the hidden advantage" its about 40 mins long and this fella takes you through it step by step, then i have a few books and tid bits from the net.

but heres a few pointers for anyone considering making one.

1, as balty said hot glue( the type ya nan has for arts and crafts) was often used by actual sniper teams to make ghillies.(start from the bottom and work up to get an over laying effect)

or

2, is to use a cheap hamok(spelling) bout $10 from aussie disposals. you cut a piece the shape of the back of your BDU and saw it on at the corners, then you simply tie your hessian through the loops in the hamok material. real quick to make and allows you to add foliage from whatever area your in at any one time.

hope that helps

yeah - sowed it robbo.

only problem with the hamock thing for me hazedog is that's it's not a sniper suit i need as i use it for bowhunting and wear it on the move through the bush, walking all day and need flexibility when shooting arrows and not too hot etc. i think the hamock idea is really only good if lying prone all day. however, food for thought and thanks for input.

My old suit was made completely out of netting my neighbour used to keep birds and bats out of his fruit trees. I got a piece about 3 m long and 2 m wide, folded in halfcut arms and tied underneath and down sides (to make a long jacket), cut a head hole and tied on a hood. I then tied bits of rag and hessian to the net. Used to chuck it over whatever I was wearing at the time.

Will post pics when I find them :huh:

thats reel similar to mine fogged.

hawkeye, not sure if ive explained it poorly but mine was also used for bow hunting, in thick mountain bushland.

i do understand the weight issue in summer tho, but i imagine all suits that have a bdu platform then decked out in hessian are going to have similar problems.

if i was half decent with computers id freez frame the dvd to give an idea of the makeup of the suit.

ps, a real snipers gilhie suit would need to be practical more than anything else as they are often require to traverse large distances to get into a position to lay all day.

thanks hp.

a pic would be good hazedog but no doubt suit was/is a pearler.

digger pic i pinched randomly from someone's avatar a couple years back - so the 'unknown soldier'.

just symbolises the aussie infantryman well that pic and the aussie infantryman is my No1 hero!