Looking For Hunting Boots

waydog

well all my years of bush walking Tasmania have made me realise THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS WATER PROOF BOOTS!

its better to get boots that fit very well.....im also looking for new boots

something like these i think for me!

http://www.zamberlan.com/catalog/index.php...cat&idcat=9

You wear boots up north? I thought it was just bib and brace overalls and bare feet :P

Smithy have you looked at the Danner boots ?? they are up ther $ wise but seem to be the goods

i have been looking at these for a while and there is a shop near work that have them for around the $260 mark

http://www.danner.com/product/id/102135.do

Hi all,

a much discussed topic this. I too have not been able to find a boot that i am "over the moon" about.As far as work boots go anyhow.Remember that you spend more time in these than any other footware by far if you are a tradie.Personally i am in mine 12-14 hour a day at least 5 days a week.A hunting boot is generally gonna get a harder life i think so it needs to be comfy.I've tried a few but nothing so far thats any good for a long days walk.

Sounds like Tiapans might be worth a go,but 2 hours with the google buttons has got me nowhere as far as a retail outlet in west Sydney.CAN ANYBOBY HELP PLEASE?

CHEERS .........SORE FEET SMITHY

http://www.lawranceordnance.com/security/u...rms-taipan.html

Thanks Balty,i found a site that supplies Tiapans to fireries at a reasonable cost.If ya have to pay the prices listed by your link,may as well go sharpa or danner i think.Thanks for the info.

CHEERS SMITHY

Bought a spair pair of boots sold by Blundstone and did not need them for some two years.

When my old boots failed from 7 years of wear I puulled out the spair pair.

Whent on my way climbing around hills after goats and started slipping over .

To my surprise the soles were just falling apart and big chunks of rubber were coming off everywhere.

I contacted Blundstone when I got home and they refused to honour any guarantee or replace the boots. Saying that the boots were over 12 months old . They would not accept the fact that they had never been worn as could be easily seen by the perfect condition of the leather upper and no wear at all on the crumbling sole.

The type of sole was a soft rubber acid proof sole.

As far as I know Blundstone defected to the land of China.

Bought a spair pair of boots sold by Blundstone and did not need them for some two years.

When my old boots failed from 7 years of wear I puulled out the spair pair.

To my surprise the soles were just falling apart and big chunks of rubber were coming off everywhere.

I contacted Blundstone when I got home and they refused to honour any guarantee or replace the boots. Saying that the boots were over 12 months old . They would not accept the fact that they had never been worn as could be easily seen by the perfect condition of the leather upper and no wear at all on the crumbling sole.

The type of sole was a soft rubber acid proof sole.

hj,

were they the steel caps?

the same thing has happened to dad with his work issued bludstones, but my not steel cap models were exelent. baught my last pair of bludstones last year. gone to china now and cost half as much. look like crap too.

greg

or if you want a cheaper work like boot then go for Oliver AT's or Bowens

i had the 200mm lace ups at the bottom! about $135 my last pair

http://www.oliver.com.au/asp/show_products.asp?CatId=2

i like the look of the Bowen's at the bottom of this page.....but i dont know the $$$$$

http://www.oliver.com.au/asp/show_products.asp

My Oliver Steel caps did the same - but they are more or a warehouse boot me thinks not designed for what i did to them -- i actually noted how soft the sole was when i first got them -- really good while walking around concrete warehouse floors but tore to shreds soon as they hit dirt

Most of you blokes know that besides being keen on sambar hunting i actually go out and do it too.

in 30 years of it i have tried all sorts of boots and i mean ALL sorts of boots,now its Sambar country boots we are talking about not goat,rabbit,camel,fallow,buffalo etc as sambar inhabit mainly tough steep slippery ground that incorporates every sort of terrain including river crossings.

For river crossings i take my boots off,simple as waterproof boots simply hold the water in all day. There is such a thing as w/proof boots too and if you hunt all day in wet raing conditions or simply in very dewey grasss the good boots stay dry..one also needs as aggressive a sole as possible for the slippery components of the sambar country,i say forget any of the quasi military boots as they dont do the job...IF you are fair dinkum and going to hunt 20 or 30 weeks for sambar you want some thing like the better quality yank stuff,i have a couple of pairs of Rocky`s ,some Irish Setter`s and some Wolverines and have bought every pair in the "bargain cave " of various sites. I reckon i go out two to three times a week looking for sambar for the 30 odd weeks (or more) and i want the right ones.

Pajero bought an undersized pair from me and i reckon he will tell you they are ok too (Rocky`s)

Rono bought a pair of Rocky`s and he raves about them.

They arent the best or the most expensive and you have to get the right model but by gee they are bloody good and light too and with the right ones WATERPROOF some are gore tex as well,have a look around.

I saw Danners mentioned,they are a real exy boot and i have heard on yank forums that some of the boys werent happy with them like all brands of course.

I myself would love a pair of Meindls IF they put a decent sole on them that is,i havent seen the super aggressive rubber on a pair yet.

My yank mate came out with me and had a tougher time in the slippery conditions than i ever did but none the less he loves them...also sold under Cab`s home brand a lot cheaper than the Meindl brand.

Hey Gryph,great info but can you elaberate a bit,models etc,ya got me wonderin now!!Most boots tear my heals to bits,i have a narrow foot with INDIGIONOUS ankles and my feet have copped a floggin from years of basketball,sqash and concrete floors in my trade(BOILIE)Thanks dude!

SMITHY

Does anyone wear waterproof socks?

I lived in Norway for a few years so I'm well aware of how cold wet feet feel.

I have used Thermal socks which really do wicker the moisture away from your feet, be it sweat or water.

The trick here is to wear thermal socks with wool (or wool blend) socks over them. This of course means ALL Ways buy your boots 1/2 or a full size bigger than you think you need.

So Smithy did you find a location in Sydney for those Tipan boots??

I still reckon the Scarpa's are the go, but where do you get them and at what price.

I had a chat to the shoe guy at Ray's Outdoors on Parramatta road last Sunday. He said they don't stock Scarpa's anymore as they are just too expensive (but they are a bloody great boot)

I wouldn't say I was impressed with the other boots they had. In fact they only had 2 boots which I thought were worth a lookin.

Both were very light weight full leather. Neither were solid enough in the sides IMO to be considered a heavy duty hiking boot. They were also not tall enough to give adequate ankle support..

thx guys, wrote down the brands mentioned and went looking. ended up geting a pair of columbia that were realy comfy and light, with a very agresive and gripy sole patern which is a must as griph mentioned. tried them on and walked around the shop for a while and at work for a couple of hours and they seem great. now i just need to test them in the bush.

Another vote here for the Scarpas.

I bought mine in 95 and they are still good to go.

Looking a bit low at heel now though. Im amazed that the sole has lasted so long.

I think my foot si a different shape now though, they dont seem to fit like they used to.

The leather is starting to crack at the bend on one.

the tongues have a back country sewing job after a rat chewed em one night.

Linings are pretty thin now and there is no give in the inner sole any more.

Yeah very expensive boots ($360 from memory)but I used to get a pair per year sometimes more so they've saved me heaps in the last 13 years, I reackon they have 3 or 4 left in them too

The pair of Rocky's that Gryph refers to that he sold me are Goretex and remain dry through dew soaked grass and high country ice and snow.No pair of boots are going to be waterproof when you are knee deep in a river.As for socks,I have found `holeproof explorers.When wet,they will remain warmer than sports socks.

Just bought a new pair of waterproof hunting/hiking boots from Kathmandu camping shop in perth - they are having a big sale on till easter generally 40% to 60% off on nearly everything in the store

Bought a pair of $300 boots reduced to $120

Same boots on sale at other stores for $380

cheers

Len

Another vote here for the Scarpas.

I bought mine in 95 and they are still good to go.

Looking a bit low at heel now though. Im amazed that the sole has lasted so long.

I think my foot si a different shape now though, they dont seem to fit like they used to.

The leather is starting to crack at the bend on one.

the tongues have a back country sewing job after a rat chewed em one night.

Linings are pretty thin now and there is no give in the inner sole any more.

Yeah very expensive boots ($360 from memory)but I used to get a pair per year sometimes more so they've saved me heaps in the last 13 years, I reackon they have 3 or 4 left in them too

The Scarpas are an amazing boot..

Hey try treating your boots with Snow Seal. It's a bee wax based leather sealing agent. It really doesn't soften the leather just seals and protects it. Some camping stores carry it, I found it at Clarke Rubber recently for $10 which is really quite cheap. I've paid up to $40 for Snow Seal when OS..