Vibram Five Fingers

Worm

Anyone seen or have a pair of these?

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

kso_black.png

I tried them on at the shops and they are the weirdest shoes I have worn! The KSO trek model have a 4mm sole, wetsuit material above that and then Kangaroo leather for the upper section.

The sole has small slits in it that are only visible when the sole is bent, so it provides extra grip as you walk.

The KSO trek model isnt available in australia yet, wont be for a while, but you can buy them from overseas... although according to a relative in Canada, they are only available at certain seasons and then once sold out can not be bought until the following year. Some of the other models can be bought all year.

The cost of these in the US is $125.... I tried on the Flow model and they cost AU$200 where as in the states they cost $85US. Once the KSO trek are available they will cost around $300 give or take.

I have NFI if they will be good for hunting, but I will try them out anyway. Shipping mid Feb apparently. I just had to buy them as they are funky and will be good for something im sure.

One of the gym junkies where I go wears them, I imagine they would sweat hard and you would feel the edge of every rock you walk on in a bush situation.

Also good chance of kicking a toe real bad. His feet look very fragile to being steped on as well when I see him.

I would doubt rocks will be a issue, seeing as these are used by some competitors in mountain marathons. But that is a reason I got the KSO trek ones as they have ~4mm sole instead of ~2mm. Sweat might be a problem, but they are not waterproof so it should be ok. Also no ankle support, might be a struggle on the steep stuff.

Only way is to actually use them. By all reports on the internet (forums/news articles/reviews) they are quite good, with nothing protruding through the sole..... but NO info relating to hunting of course.

You would be able to be very quiet in them, as you can control your foot almost like a barefoot.

Only way to know for sure is to try them..... which I will do as I like wasting money on gadgets and such haha

Def get cold feet! But like all our gear, certain things for certain weather/times of year. One of my favorite spots to hunt is very low, open and quite flat. Cant wait to use them there.... But as Gibbo said, in the mountains.... Hmmmmm..... Ill still put in the hard yards with them though. River crossings will be a big + though. And if they are comfy enough ill wear them down the street and the like.

Jeez, you'd think I was selling these things lol

EDIT: Oh, and blackberries....... ouch

I've had a pair of Nike "Free" for 12 months or so. Same idea, just not quite as funky. The marketing blurb says its based on all the barefoot runners who do so well and these try to emulate that for people like us with soft girly feet...

They're ok. Good on hot days. I've only walked around in them though. Don't think they'd be any good in the hills - you'd just end up with sore feet and maybe a turned ankle. Well, I would anyway!

And a cheep pair of neoprene type sandals would be much better for river crossings. For one, they're CHEAP and two, they're made to be submerged. Not sure I'd be happy putting $200 footware into a river...

Cheap Duncs

Good lace up hunting boots beat EVERYTHING else,those things above would last me five minutes i reckon.

River crossings? A pair of wet suit boots are cheap and excellent for crossings in the high country.

And a cheep pair of neoprene type sandals would be much better for river crossings. For one, they're CHEAP and two, they're made to be submerged. Not sure I'd be happy putting $200 footware into a river...

Cheap Duncs

These are made to be submerged and no chance of falling off in a river, just look at the design. Most people that hunt will put $200+ shoes in a river no worries : /

Last season I had a hunt that required 6 river crossings (3 passes of the river up and back) and it was an absolute pain in the butt to take boots off to drain after each crossing. Gore-tex just doesnt let the water out.

As Gryphon said though, wetsuit boots would do the job also.

These are made to be submerged and no chance of falling off in a river, just look at the design. Most people that hunt will put $200+ shoes in a river no worries : /

Last season I had a hunt that required 6 river crossings (3 passes of the river up and back) and it was an absolute pain in the butt to take boots off to drain after each crossing. Gore-tex just doesnt let the water out.

As Gryphon said though, wetsuit boots would do the job also.

Bugger putting leather hiking boots and socks into a river!

Call me soft ("SOFT!") but unless the river stays below the top of your boots, then that's neoprene sandal (or vibram five finger or wetsuit boot) territory right there!

Worm, can you imagine the track you will leave after getting out of a river or over muddy ground. You'll have all the Bigfoot hunters on your trail in no time.

Watch your back trail old son.

Grant

Our feet are no longer capable of doing the barefoot thing. We pretty much have to do it from birth. If you hav ebeen wearing shoes for the last 15or 20 years then you have lost the ability to go bare foot without damage. Arch and ankle problems are the result.

Without a at least a half shank and a semi-rigid sole these things would be dangerous for the average punter. Add a load on your back and it exacerbates the problems. This can compound into knee and hip problems as well.

I wouldnt use them as Ive been wearing shoes and boots all my life

I'm really curious about these myself, stumbled across them about a month ago, figured they'd be perfect for me cause I hate the cramped feeling of wearing shoes, just wasn't sold by the price tag. And the fact that my missus said she'd walk 10 metres behind me if I wore them out with her :D