Roof Mounted Spotlights

cooter

Im looking to fit a through roof spottie as i had a lend of a mates suction cup light over the weekend wow what a difference

i think it would be a pain to shoot past though so ive decided to look at the roof mounted lights.

So who has one pros cons?

price?

thanks in advance

Al

Im looking to fit a through roof spottie as i had a lend of a mates suction cup light over the weekend wow what a difference

i think it would be a pain to shoot past though so ive decided to look at the roof mounted lights.

So who has one pros cons?

price?

thanks in advance

Al

I used a power beam and it was quite good. I set mine up with the wiring to the switch internal in the handle but the main power wires external outside the vehicle straight to the battery. This gives the ability to remove the whole rig off the roof and pack it when traveling.

I just made up a cover for the base mount to stop rain coming in.

The thing with the roof mounted light is you have to have a fairly solid roof panel or the light will flop about as you move it and it makes spotting things harder also it tends to shudder with a diesel motor at idle . If the roof panel is weak and flexible then go for a power beam handle with a lighter nightforce light ontop.

Glueing in an extra support panel can help also if you can .

If the roof is strong then a powbeam light is OK.

You have to try and fit the light where the handle can fold up against the roof but when its down it don't stop you shooting out the lefthand side if you are on your own. Easier said than done in small 4x4's .

besides being illegal and voiding insurance... depending what vehicle you are using it on and what brand it is, i have found that some vehicles roofs cave in. found that the lightforce lights weigh next to nothing compared with some of the other brands out there.

Blazalight handle and 11" Powerbeam through the roof of my Rodeo. The dual cabs roof is only slightly stronger than a coke can and with the powerbeam being pretty heavy, i sikaflexed a round 2mm sheet to the underside of the roof where the handle goes through to stop the caved in roof.

Its handy having it set up all the time if you spotlight a lot or alone. Also nice to be able to wind the window up on those freezing winter nights and still spotlight, the kids love to play with it and comes in handy when the #@$$ behind you dosn't know when to dip his lights :rolleyes:

Depending on the height of your vehicle, it may cause a few problems in undercover carparks (best to measure first before you smash it off), may cause some noticable wind noise at hwy speeds and the missus complains when she hit her head on the handle.

Depending on the height of your vehicle, it may cause a few problems in undercover carparks (best to measure first before you smash it off), may cause some noticable wind noise at hwy speeds and the missus complains when she hit her head on the handle.

Yes I took my old light out on a low tree limb that I did not notice . Not good.

I have a roof mounted Lightforce one in my Rodeo and I find it pretty handy. Especially if you are hunting alone.

There is no wind noise but it does bounce around a bit when it gets bumpy. (which is to be expected I guess)

My major gripe is that I hit my head on the handle a lot!!

I don't drive it during the week so I have no worries about car parks, legality or anything like that. If I used it as a daily driver I would definitely get one that I could remove without having a hole in the roof.

I have a Lightforce Support-A-Light, which looks similar to the unit Dungbeatle has.

It works great and can be moved from car to car.

I have a powabeam handle with a light force 240 on top mounted in an 87 patrol, being an older vehicle the roof is more than coke can thick so I have no problem with it caving in. I dont leave the light on it when I'm not using it and the handle folds at the roof line and tucks up behind the passenger sun visor so it is barely noticeable. I have used just about every other alternative and this is definately the best way to go for me, having said that though my 4wd is 23 years old and only gets used for hunting, fishing and camping so I am not worried by the hole in the roof affecting re-sale value.

If you do go down the line of taking a hole saw to your pride and joy sit and think a while first, dont have it to far back as it will make your shoulder ache at the end of the night, consider roof racks etc. I mounted a new plug on the dash ( not cig lighter style) and ran a dedicated cable direct to the battery.

i like the idea of a removable mount for the roof that requires no penetration - no leaks, no bumping ya head on it and the ability to have the window up in winter is perfect!

I remember seeing magnetic/suction mount remote control elevation and direction operation spotlights in a boat supply place a couple of years ago - I think it was made in america - one of those could suit your needs

I have a HJ40 i have owned for a year it has a roof mounted light, i have never used it but its seems to be as new.

For that matter i have never driven the car either i got it for my bro its on the road with rego and in RWC.

Bloody thing was built by a grease monkey in Kyabrab it goes like the powers.

I dont know much about them but this thing has terbo and a 5 speed fitted along with stuff i have never seen before.

Buy the car mate lol comes with a light and hole already in the roof and the light is operated from inside.

I did notice that whoever did the roof mount must have done a good job as there are no leaks around it.