100 Watt Spotlight, Problem Or Not?

molserge

I agree that a new dedicated cig plug with thicker wiring direct to the battery with a seperate 15 amp fuse is way better.

Generally a 100 watt light will draw about 8 amp. @ 12 volt . Some 20 amp rated 3mm automotive cable will be fine to run two plugs . Fit a two plug setup with a seperate fuse on each plug.

Don't run all your lights while spotlighting as the slow driving can result in a low battery .

I have just bought a hand held spotty that has a 100 watt globe, friends have told me it could be an overload for the ciggy lighter or do i change it to alligator clips. note; I already have 2 roo lights fixed on top of ute, any advice would be appreciated

Alligator clips are good, Anderson plugs are better. Cig sockets suck the weiner.

The problem is that so many other accessories have cig lighter plugs so they do get used and they are easy to replace.

Hella make some nice plugs also for 12v Dc operations but they are expensive also.

Edited by Happy Jack

That's why I have swapped my fridge, camplights, spotlights, compressor etc all to Anderson plugs. You can make up a couple of conversion leads too if need be. The Ando plugs are the most superior 12-24V electrical (apart from soldering direct) connection accessories I know of.

Alligator clips are good, Anderson plugs are better. Cig sockets suck the weiner.

I agree, Cheap cig plugs suck, but if you use Good quality Cig Plugs they are fine.

I have run my set up for over 20 years and it is still going strong.

Of course you need to look after your items and not just throw it in the back of the ute

when finished.

i have found on our lightforce spotlight the cigarette lighter puts alot duller light then when connected to a battery. We just cut the cigarette adapter off and put aligator clips on and it is heaps brighter

As others have said if you are going to use your cig lighter socket you should upgrade the socket and wiring and fit another separate fuse

The universal plug and socket is a very good replacement

This is the best shop that I have come across

http://www.12volt.com.au/

+ 1 on all that Len, those unis are good.

Aside from the connection being dodgy as the guys have said, you get more light going direct to battery. I have a Powabeam Pro 9 and almost returned it because the light was ####. Swapped it to aligators on the battery and I reckon I got 30% more light out of it.

Definately go the dedicated socket (anderson or universal) or clip direct to the battery.

Jase

the trouble with spotlights that have ciggy plugs is that invariably, the ciggy lighter in the car wont work... the fuse will be blown or the socket will be stuffed.

i bought my spottie with alligator clips to avoid any possibility of ciggy not working..

That is so true - especially with farmers ute's !!!!

+1

And that's if their utes even still HAVE a ciggy lighter plug left in them.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

One correction, the old cigarette plugs are designed for 10A, (100w is about 8A at 12V).

Those universal are meant to fit both into our current cigarette plugs and the newer (in Australian anyways) to DIN ISO 4165 (aka, the Merit plug or the Hella plug). The Merit plug is a good option as it IS designed for higher amps, rather then just generating a bit of heat to light your slow death sticks.

Latest specs  I can find on Merit plugs show 16A, but I recall seeing somewhere Merit plugs rated to 25A (don't quote me on that, I can't recall where nor can I find it now). Merit plugs also "plug in" rather then just push in and provide a more secure connection, however both should do what you need.

And for the record, the BEST connection is carefully stripped, twisted and soldered wires with heat-shrink to seal them up. But not as easy to disconnect at the end of the night!