Home Butcher Knife Set

pirate

hey guys i was wondering what you all use for breaking down game in the field and also when you get home? i am in the market for a knife set (skinning,boning,steel,butchers knife), but am wondering what brands to go for? i have been told by a few people about tramontina knives. They are a bit cheaper than a few other brands but what are they like for quality? i want to get a little set together, but i can not find any knife rolls to fit all of them in.

i look forward to hearing your comments

mate, i use victranox knives 5" skinner and a 5" boner, pleased as punch with em. they are not too dear either. would reccomend them to anyone.

i also use a swissistor diamond sharpener, its easy to use and compact + i cant use a steel very well.

Trammontina are very good gear for the money and they do a four knife and steel canvas roll. Swibo are another very good option as are the above mentioned.

For more dollars look at the F D!ck or Frosts etc.

hey guys i was wondering what you all use for breaking down game in the field and also when you get home? i am in the market for a knife set (skinning,boning,steel,butchers knife), but am wondering what brands to go for? i have been told by a few people about tramontina knives. They are a bit cheaper than a few other brands but what are they like for quality? i want to get a little set together, but i can not find any knife rolls to fit all of them in.

i look forward to hearing your comments

Got a set of tramotinas for my daughter. Now im changing to them easy to sharpen and hold a good edge. Mick

For your steel have a look at a diamond steel they are very easy to use. The long ( 26cm ) oval shape is very popular.

The jewel sticks are quite good

Went out recently and one of the guys had the tramontina roll off ebay. Worked really well and then coupled with a good diamond oval steel makes sharpening a breeze and you can work faster.

I like the idea of the sofgrip Dexter's tho. There's a guy in NT who supplies them on ebay.

I too like the Jewel stick for getting an edge, I then run on a fine F D!ck steel and they come up razors. I find that even with the fine diamond steel, the edge is slightly rough, no biggy for working purpose but for a truely fine, razor edge a touch on a super fine steel afterwards is the go.