Camo With A Difference!

Tez338

Okay - lets look at this product.

Its CLAIMED that Deer cannot see blue - so as far as the deer are concerned (according to the manufacturer) this camo should be as effective in disguising us, the hunter, as any other colour camo......

Secondly ITS CLAIMED that colour blind people can see the colour blue rather than red/blaze orange. This is the main reason behind this product - to reduce the possibility of normal sighted or colourblind hunters from shooting at something that may not be a deer........ seen many BLUE Sambar (or any other Deer) out there lately?

That these sort of accidents happen is beyond discussion - THEY HAVE ALREADY HAPPENED - as we know. So how does one REDUCE the likelyhood of these sort of tragedies? Does this product help?

I dont know the answers! SamHuntVic 's experiences with his son with a colourblind situation provides some useful clues. Does that fact that his son may see some Orange colours mean that all those hunters with colour deficiencies dont?

Sure - its up to us to identify our targets before pulling the trigger - but if any other precautions will reduce the chance of tragedies - including wearing BLUE camo - then this is whta we need to know.

That target identification is PARAMOUNT before firing is beyond discussion - anything we can wear to prevent us from making a mistake is really important - the trophy comes a distant second.....

So - lets hear hear sensible suggestions and experiences! Its to our benefits as hunters!

MLG - if I'm reading you right, I think you're saying the same as the rest of us here. Lets be safe in the bush and do what we can to prevent more tragic accidents.

From all I've read and been told, blue is going to give the opposite of the desired effect with deer. Its a good idea to be visible to other hunters but not at the expense of spooking the game you're stalking.

Personally, this amazing new gear isn't doing anything to make me want to buy it - just the opposite in fact, its making me thing its all a scam. Beware the marketing machine.

Blaze is readily available, easily spotted by humans and proven to be effective camouflage to deer. So why would I want to go and spend more money on other stuff?

I'm no expert, but I also understand that the contrast of blaze is "noticed" by colour blind humans but missed by deer - that's one of the reasons its effective. There is no contrast in that blue - so for a fully colour blind human, I'm doubting it'll work.

But like I said, I'm no expert and I'm not colour blind.

it should be noted that there are different variations of human color blindness, that one hunters colorblind son can see blaze orange means lil.....just means his type of color blindness allows him to the red part of the spectrum.....other types dont....

I think you missed the point. If it was that important to stand out in the bush from your mates but hide from the animals why would you have your face and hands uncovered which stand out like "you know what" to animals... if you dont believe me get a mate to stand in the forest in FULL camo and then with face and hands showing and tell me what you observe.

No ones having a go at anyone, its a good video to post, promotes discussion. Some people around here get a bit antsy *shrugs*

Exactly ! The most important place to camo is your face , hands and shoulder shape . That's what animals recognise the most from us upright bipedal apes. .

Well I wouldn't buy it cause I already look like a ####, I don't need help from these idiots!

And because everything I've read says that deer can see blue.

One of those types of cells in a deer's dichromatic vision can see in shades of blue. Notice how they quickly skipped over that topic in the video. They said that deer were dichromatic and showed a graph depicting the trichromatic vision of a human but no graph depicticing a deer's di chromatic vision.

Well I know where one is and it is contrary to this companies claims.

Errol Mason put one in his "secrets of sambar VOL2" and it states that a deer's perceptual spectrum runs from below 400 nanometers to just above 600 nanometers. This incorperates the colour Blue.

Errol tends to reference all his text pretty well and if you pick up the book you will see it corresponds with a study done in the USA in 92.

Furthermore,

The study goes on to say that the vision of a deer is more bias to UV rather than any perticular colour (of which blue is one of the closest). So if your were to steer away from any perticular colour whilst hunting I would say blue would be the one. So out of that I take that despite what you wear hunting make sure it is not washed with UV brighteners because that will give you away quicker than any colour or pattern will.

That time of month Tez? Someone give the man a Kleenex!

btw, im 28..... and I cant help it if I really am an expert at almost everything. Im telling you, its a curse to be so smrat!

Very well said worm as i mentioned in my quote they can not help themself,s

:lol:

Furthermore,

The study goes on to say that the vision of a deer is more bias to UV rather than any perticular colour (of which blue is one of the closest). So if your were to steer away from any perticular colour whilst hunting I would say blue would be the one. So out of that I take that despite what you wear hunting make sure it is not washed with UV brighteners because that will give you away quicker than any colour or pattern will.

That is quite true also UV seems to be a problem with hunting cloths. Even if you beak up your outline well the clothing can still havea UV shine.

You should not wash your camo in detergents or softeners just some Borax.

I just wonder. How old are some of you blokes here. Worm, Camfish, athomo?

Phuk me I just gotta laugh at this sort of attitude. Just one of the reasons why I will never hunt with many men, or allow my son to do so either!

The younger generation are all experts hahaha. Keep hitting em keyboards lads.

MLG is a man you should listen too. Grew up in Rhodesia(farmer) & knows the game, ahh. Plus he is well over 30 hahaha sorry Mike :ph34r:

There is a reason why 'most' hunters keep off forums 90% of the time. This is one of those reasons.

Mate im 18.

and whats your problem buddy? when did i state i'm an expert? and what did i say that attacks anybody's post?

i simply stated that the major way to be safe in the bush isent about camofluarge its about being a responsable and safe hunter.

what are you trying to say? you dissagree?

shame on you for attacking people expresing there opioions and contributeing to the fourm.

and when people pull you up and ask you to explane the stupid comments you make regarding 3 or 4 of us and you dont even explane yourself!!

i think your wrong , people like YOU are the reason 90% of hunters stay offline!!

take it houever you like mate. if you start Sh*t you'll get Sh*t,

heres a chance to explane yourself?

mabey your just haveing a bad night and miss understood our posts?

Edited by camfish

Mate im 18.

and whats your problem buddy? when did i state i'm an expert? and what did i say that attacks anybody's post?

i simply stated that the major way to be safe in the bush isent about camofluarge its about being a responsable and safe hunter.

what are you trying to say? you dissagree?

shame on you for attacking people expresing there opioions and contributeing to the fourm.

you sir are a clas A loser.

and when people pull you up and ask you to explane the stupid comments you make regarding 3 or 4 of us and you dont even explane yourself!!

i think your wrong , people like YOU are the reason 90% of hunters stay offline!!

take it houever you like mate. if you start Sh*t you'll get Sh*t,

heres a chance to explane yourself?

mabey your just haveing a bad night and miss understood our posts?

I agree mate , there is no call to be having a go at peoples age or experience . Everyone has to start someplace and I have leart new stuff from people on this site that are way younger than me.

I just wonder. How old are some of you blokes here. Worm, Camfish, athomo?

Phuk me I just gotta laugh at this sort of attitude. Just one of the reasons why I will never hunt with many men, or allow my son to do so either!

The younger generation are all experts hahaha. Keep hitting em keyboards lads.

MLG is a man you should listen too. Grew up in Rhodesia(farmer) & knows the game, ahh. Plus he is well over 30 hahaha sorry Mike :ph34r:

There is a reason why 'most' hunters keep off forums 90% of the time. This is one of those reasons.

Some members are older than you lad. I would suggest your attitude needs to change a little towards other members on a public forum.

You post a link for a product and people scrutinise it as they have read the negatives against blues and violet. If you can not handle criticism maybe this forum is not for you.

Most members are going to add some of their knowledge as Goswasere' and dunc's state which is posted on the web for people to learn from.

Taz, no one directly had a dig at you, but you list 3 members and include defamatory remarks. While we are speaking of maturity, just because you replace the 'f' with a 'ph' does not mean you are not swearing -- show some respect for the forum that you only use 10% of the time -- show some maturity and depth of knowledge to express how you feel instead of resorting to a very young man's defensive and adolescent stance.

Have a good day Tez! from an older member, lad

Marketing has really got a foot hold in Hunting today. To the degree that their hype replaces fact and in some country's game laws have been designed around these marketing lies misconceptions

Having said that I do hunt in camo cloths now day's. One reason is they are cheaper than a quality pair of Blue jeans and a decent checked flanno. There is also no doubt that in some situations camo is of benefit. The hard part is sorting the marketing crap out.

Tez338, Guess I'm an old fella as well - I see the attitude you talk of ALL the time on forums and immediately know the general age range of the fella posting

Old enough to remember when a hunter could get in close wearing Blue Jeans and a checked flanno shirt. Game wasn't armored back in them days either, could kill it just fine with a sporterized .303 and didn't need a 460Loundenboomer and a computer program

regards Jacko

if you agree with him, why dont you share what you meen by attuitude?

is it a crime these days in an open online fourm to provide your opinion for discusion on a topic so we can get a wide range of discusion?

wow you guys amaze me.

No angst or having a go in my comment camfish. Its not just on forums, face to face younger folks talk about the same topic with different voice inflection, tone and choice of words , this comes through on forums as well. Youthful exuberance vs life experience.

I had hoped that folks would understand I was having a go at the marketing crowd and not younger folks in my post. Younger folks have spent there lives being bombarded with marketing crap and it's clouding needs from wants - consumerism gone mad. I have the advantage of a little experience before the marketing era and do ponder how for generations before this one hunters feed there family's without using all the marketed gizmo's and other crap that's on the market today.

regards Jacko

I would hate to go hunting with anyone that shoots at anything at all before identifying his or her target. I get the full 3d leaf gear on when I go shooting.

i know that one of my mates is colourblind and he can't distinguish between green and blaze. we found this out when he asked us why they make the flags around the carpark on the local footy oval while the show was on the same colour as the grass when we all saw them as bright orange haha

and just for the sake of it i'm also 18 years old but i come on this forum to learn more than anything. i know i don't have as much experiance as most on here so i prefer to take in as much as i can and only comment when i'm sure i have something that is worthy of being contributed and accurate

i know that one of my mates is colourblind and he can't distinguish between green and blaze. we found this out when he asked us why they make the flags around the carpark on the local footy oval while the show was on the same colour as the grass when we all saw them as bright orange haha

and just for the sake of it i'm also 18 years old but i come on this forum to learn more than anything. i know i don't have as much experiance as most on here so i prefer to take in as much as i can and only comment when i'm sure i have something that is worthy of being contributed and accurate

I'm off topic I know, but good post Forgie.

Grant