Led Lenser P7 And Wolf Eyes

Hey all. I know there have been a few posts on LED torches but i was just wondering what kind of spotlighting setup everyone has. My friend and i have two LED lenser p7's just for walking round the paddocks ontop of our 22s but we only seem to get 1.5 to 2 hours of usable light even with lithium batteries and then only with 80 meters of good light. I've just purchased 17hmr for the occasional fox that we see at a longer distance and was looking at the wolf eyes sea lion hunter LED thats meant to have a projection of 300 meters but its three times the cost of a p7 so was interested if anyone could suggest some brands or models that would be good to check out? I know that the wolf eyes is designed for hunting but does it justify the cost? cheers

I have the wolf eyes sea lion hunter, the claim of 300 meters is a far stretch of the truth, the light may project that far but from my experience its next to impossible to spot game from that distance. The beam at that distance is very tight, so your spill area is reduced greatly when using that long distance lens/globe supplied. Unless you are walking around looking through your scope you just wont effectively spot game at extended distances. Its good as a back up once you have spotted the game with the big car light just in case your mate isn't pointing the main light where you want it.

You just can beat the roof mounted spot light for spotting game.

I use a wolf eyes night hunter. It is on my 22 hornet and it shines further than I can shoot accurately when walking. I reckon it gives useable light out to 150 meters which is spot on for the hornet. It was not cheap but it is good.

I have a P7 and I don't think it can be compared to the Sea Hunter or any of the Solarforce range. My P7 just doesn't penetrate enough with very limited range. I have bought a couple of Solarforce torches and they are very good for scope mounting. The 18650 batteries are li-ion and rechargeable. www.solarforce-sales.com

Cheers for the info guys looks like i have a bit of research to do but the solarforce is looking quite appealing. I definately want the rechargeable li ion batteries because atm the p7 just drains batteries. It's a great little torch but i'm just after that little bit of extra light penetration and run time

LED Lenser runtimes are greatly exaggerated. Torches that run on the big 18650 Li ion batteries are best.

The Solarforce Pro-1 is the king of throw. Not a pocket torch, but it throws a long way.

g,day

where can you buy the solasforce pro 1 in melbourne ?

cheers

steve

do you have to buy the batteries seperately ?

how much was post to oz ?

cheers

steve

Fenring beat me to it... :P Let me add though that the postage is exceptionally fast. Mine got here in 5 working days.

Feel free to ask plenty of questions, it is quite a confusing subject. Trust me, I've been there and done that.

Edited by ShadowAssassin

hey fellas now your confusing me !

what is a torch body ?

i thought a pro 1 was a torch.

been on the site thought all i had to order was the torch and the batteries.

cheers

steve

The Masterpiece Pro-1 (or Pro-1 as we have been calling it) is just the torch head with reflector and electronics inside.

With the Masterpiece Pro-1, there are two separate packages you can get. There is this one which is the Masterpiece Pro-1 Head and an L2i body (for AAA's only!) and there is this one (what I got) which is the Masterpiece Pro-1 Head and an L2P body which is for the 18650 batteries (the 18650 batteries will be cheaper in the long run, give you longer runtime and in some cases have higher output than AAA's).

The second package also comes with a normal sized L2P head which has no electronics. An upside of having this spare head though is that you can buy another LED for around $10 and swap the two heads around to suit whatever you are doing.

Edited by ShadowAssassin

The Masterpiece Pro-1 (or Pro-1 as we have been calling it) is just the torch head with reflector and electronics inside.

With the Masterpiece Pro-1, there are two separate packages you can get. There is this one which is the Masterpiece Pro-1 Head and an L2i body (for AAA's only!) and there is this one (what I got) which is the Masterpiece Pro-1 Head and an L2P body which is for the 18650 batteries (the 18650 batteries will be cheaper in the long run, give you longer runtime and in some cases have higher output than AAA's).

The second package also comes with a normal sized L2P head which has no electronics. An upside of having this spare head though is that you can buy another LED for around $10 and swap the two heads around to suit whatever you are doing.

Ok so if i were to purchase the pro 1 and expect to get it working with the rechargable 18650 batteries i'd have to buy these two things????

http://www.solarforce-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=LF&s=26&id=137

http://www.solarforce-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=BC&s=23&id=122

Ok so if i were to purchase the pro 1 and expect to get it working with the rechargable 18650 batteries i'd have to buy these two things????

That is correct.

Although it may not be the best torch for mounting on a scope it is an excellent light and out throws all the torches I have.

hows the light throw and run time on the p1 it doesnt say on the site just trying to compare it to the M8

They claim to get 2.5hrs at 200lms with 1x18650. For the Pro-1

and

They claim to get 128mins at 500lms with 1x18650. For the M8

(Going by the SolarForce-Sales website)

Edited by ShadowAssassin

Correct.

While the 200 lumens of the Pro-1 may not sound that high compared to all these alleged "1000 lumen" lights around, it is the intensity of the light that counts - how concentrated the beam is. This is measured in Lux. In the case of the Pro-1 it is somewhere in the region of 50000 Lux at 1 metre. This is where it gets its throwing power from - in addition it has some spill so you can see to the sides and in front of you.

If you like, you can also get an extender to make the L2P body longer so the light can take two 18650 batteries - output is then 275 lumens. TBH, I have tried both and cannot notice much difference. As it is, with one battery the Pro-1 throws 200m with ease.

Runtime is easily 2 hours or more.

FYI, the M8 won't throw as far as the Pro-1. The latest version of the Thrunite Catapult was reviewed recently on Candlepower Forums and its Lux readings are almost as high as the Pro-1's and with more lumens out the front so it should throw a long way. It also costs a lot more. :)