The Latest Bloody Addictive Bloody Project

optic

Got a lot to report on this little adventure.

I have always taken on anything. Im not one to say stuff it, i doubt my ability.

Ill do a full report on these things after the Pheasant shoot.

Right now im saying, never again. But i am a tad proud of the outcome.

PS. My Darling got the pic thing sorted out. It took an hour but she showed her true colors.

Bloody Pom.

PPS Now ill pay up my VIP membership, seeing how i can post pics again.

post-9964-0-92983000-1406885063_thumb.jpg

Edited by optic

Nice lookin bunch. Guessing you used redgum? If it is Im impressed with the finish, Ive always thought it'd be a rough finish because of the hard but relatively loose grain on it.

One thing Id look at if it were me is round out your bolsters a bit as they seem a bit blocky in the pic.

Well done though mate looks like youve been bitten by it!

Good point AH. I have to admit that it never even crossed my mind to do that. They were a problem when it came to the sheaf.

Not red gum mate its birdseye coolabah. I have a red gum burl here with an order in for more red gum and box burls.

Your welcome to some of the red gum if you want it. It does have a fine grain in it not fluffy at all.

The scales were a let down, not what i expected. They were sold as dry. But they were still holding moisture. And they shrunk even after i left them to dry out in the house.

Gaff helped me out a lot with advice. But im far short of getting the result im after.

As i have already said, just so much to learn when it comes to doing a knife right. Then there is the bloody sheaf.

Ill do a write up so others might learn from my mistakes with some pics later on.

The knife and the sheaf have a process that you have to learn and follow or you stuff it up.

Thanks Whistler, it is a fair dinkum field knife. And it feels like one in your hand.

Tim i will bring them along to the goats so you can have a feel of them, tell me what you think of them.

Here is the first sheaf and the second invented set of sheaf s.

I was going to put 3 rivets in the top. But i ended up stitching them.

The knife locks in by using the bolster seated in a pocket.

post-9964-0-41429900-1406905178_thumb.jpg

post-9964-0-04667200-1406905471_thumb.jpg

Edited by optic

You've done a great job there Richard.I like the handle,it really stands out.The blocker is different from some of the other knives,I've noticed that a lot of hunting knives these days don't have one,possibly for aesthetics rather than practicality.

Ive read that you can put scales in the oven on lowest for a few hours to dry them out. You can get a wood moisture meter from deal extreme for cheap. I got mine there but they dont seem to stock it anymore. Mine seems to work well and was only $20 or so.

I like knives with bolsters too personally. Its a classic style. I make my sheath the same, no need for studs the bolster clicks into its notch and is held secure enough.

Im right for redgum, recently picked up a small table top for $20 thats 50mm thick and have a few large burls from when I used to turn bowls and stuff.

If youve ever got some bulk of good wood for handles Id be happy to do a few swaps if your interested. Ive got a range of over 100 blocks and scales at the moment. Most of them are stabilised too.

No half-hearted attempts with Richard. Why make one when you can do 4 at a time?

Plenty of moisture meters on eBay for not a lot of coin. Winter can be tricky when working with wood, especially if you have a heated work area. The air is very dry & the wood can shrink a fair bit once you start working with it. I've also read about the oven trick but haven't tried it.

Shawn, I found redgum to be pretty good to work with on a couple of letter openers I made. It might depend on where it's from, I assume it would be a bit more dense from more arid areas. Using it on the knife I'm currently working on, too, but it's stabilised now :thumbsu: .

Shawn, I found redgum to be pretty good to work with on a couple of letter openers I made. It might depend on where it's from, I assume it would be a bit more dense from more arid areas. Using it on the knife I'm currently working on, too, but it's stabilised now :thumbsu: .

Im keen on seeing how your 5k year old redgum comes up. Finished your last batch earlier today and it looks like african blackwood. Will be a great peice once finished.

Dont forget that i have all that Jarrah floor boards put aside. Came close to going in the fire until i started thinking about how good it would look on a knife.

After i put a bit through the Thicknesser it looked great.

Ill be trying it out on a blade when i have sorted the the things im not happy with out.

I think stabilized woodis the way to go. The weather can affect even seasoned timber.

I have also been doing a bit of research on Vac pumps for wood.

Im happy to swap any time. If it wasnt for you and Geoff, id be stuffed. But you will have to wait till i get some good wood.

Im waiting on Ipch to get back from the desert, he was going to keep an eye out for wood for me.

Im also in the process of rebuilding the bandsaw. Kind of stuffed without one when it comes to breaking down wood.

I have been thinking about what HJ said about a knife made to go along the belt.

I found some blanks with a blade length of around 50 to 60mm. I think that would be plenty long enough for a knife mounted along the belt fitted with Jarrah Scales.

Lots to learn.

Grant. I have little doubt that the time you put in on that stock would easily be equal to one knife. Thats how long they took me.

The stock looks great.

Im keen on seeing how your 5k year old redgum comes up. Finished your last batch earlier today and it looks like african blackwood. Will be a great peice once finished.

You are a legend, thank you!

Yeh, that redgum was unearthed in a quarry & I'm told it was carbon dated to 5,000 years. An Aussie version of bog wood. I think I sent down two sets for stabilising - keep one & give it a go.

Im happy to stabilise your wood too Richard. Pm me for details. The more the better for me as the resin costs more than a good bourbon per litre and it takes little from the liquid in the end.

Ps. Thanks Geoff. Theres a few extra on board but I wanted to add a few ironbark scales from my 130yr old board outa my house roof. I broke the bandsaw blade so Im guessing theres a nail in it. Seems I need a metal detector too.

really nice work Richard, Im well impressed mate.

If you want something a bit different let me know and i will get you a roe deer antler to use as a bolster. (ill send you a photo of one as they are very different to other antlers in look and feel).

I was advised to use the microwave to remove moisture from the scales just before fitting them!! seemed to work for me.

I like the look of the sheath,

Paul

Wow, that is a great matching set! What steel are they? Did you make the blades also?

Great job overall, there is no looking back now. You in hook line and sinker! What have you got in mind for your next project?

Edited by Niroc

Thanks mate. It 6A stainless with carbon in them. And treated to hold an edge.

The blades are from the States.

I was hooked while putting them together. It was a real challenge for me. Not just the blades but the sheaf's as well.. Mainly because i didnt really know what i was doing.

Something i wanted to try to do. Done a dusted now.

Having seen them work in the field, im happy with what they can do and how they hold an edge.

They do feel great in the hand. If i did it again. It would be easier and a better end result.

Im in no rush to put any more together at this stage. I might even be over it. For now.

Gafloss is the man to talk to if you want one. But expect to pay the price for a quality knife if you do want one.

Wow, that is a great matching set! What steel are they? Did you make the blades also?

Great job overall, there is no looking back now. You in hook line and sinker! What have you got in mind for your next project?

Good to see you on aushunt Corin..Noric..lol.

Maybe put up a link to your wares for others that might be interested in knifemaking? Ill be in contact myself in the near future, Im after some of your chunky 416ss for bolsters. Btw theres a typo in the pdf in the metric dimentions.

Another knife maker lurking huh :thumbsu:

Come on mate spit it out. Fill us all in on yourself and your wares.

And samples of your work of course.

Welcome. They rekon im a Grumpy old Bugger. But im an :angel:

Just so long as they keep thinking that i have them bluffed.

Thanks mate. It 6A stainless with carbon in them. And treated to hold an edge.

The blades are from the States.

I was hooked while putting them together. It was a real challenge for me. Not just the blades but the sheaf's as well.. Mainly because i didnt really know what i was doing.

Something i wanted to try to do. Done a dusted now.

Having seen them work in the field, im happy with what they can do and how they hold an edge.

They do feel great in the hand. If i did it again. It would be easier and a better end result.

Im in no rush to put any more together at this stage. I might even be over it. For now.

Gafloss is the man to talk to if you want one. But expect to pay the price for a quality knife if you do want one.

Mate, you should be proud of every one of them! I am not the worlds best maker, not even close, but I started putting handles on blades back in 2002 and have been an addict ever since. I make about 4-5 in a good year so not really prolific. I just love it though. plain and simple. And yes it still frustrates the heck out of me. sometimes I wish I did knitting instead ;-)

Good to see you on aushunt Corin..Noric..lol.

Maybe put up a link to your wares for others that might be interested in knifemaking? Ill be in contact myself in the near future, Im after some of your chunky 416ss for bolsters. Btw theres a typo in the pdf in the metric dimentions.

Everywhere I go someone always knows me and wants to point out a typo! you will be glad you did though because the price were all wrong too... all old retail prices. I have just uploaded the new version to the website if you want to download. up to version 2.2 now. :blush:

Another knife maker lurking huh :thumbsu:

Come on mate spit it out. Fill us all in on yourself and your wares.

And samples of your work of course.

Welcome. They rekon im a Grumpy old Bugger. But im an :angel:

Just so long as they keep thinking that i have them bluffed.

I will post a bit of an intro thread... I don't really make hunting knives though... I do supply the industry, but not here to self promote....

Anyhow thanks for the welcome. I will have a look around and post up an intro. Google knifemaking and blacksmithing suppliers in Australia and I am sure you will find your answers. I don't want any trouble with the owners here being new and all. :rolleyes:

Edited by Niroc