Need Help With Buying A Gps

Off_Target

Ive got this,

http://www.gme.net.au/garmin/gps60.php

User friendly, long battery life, computer solfwear etc. I got mine about 2 years ago from Johnnyapplseed in Sydney for about $300.

http://www.ja-gps.com.au/garmin_gps60.aspx

Cheers mate.

I use a garmin 60csx. Awesome unit. But unless you import it they are expensive. I got mine for 430 with postage from America.

It has super fast satellite acquisition and can hold a signal where none of the others can.

Xav

No matter what you buy learn to use before you head bush. Best way I found was when traveling as a passenger have a play around as you are moving all the time and leaving a actual trail. My work use to have me travelling on barges all the time and found it a great time to practice in using all the functions.

What do you want it to do?

What sort of area will you be using it in?

Will you be using it in a vehicle? and if so make sure you can mount an external aerial.

battery life is often a big thing so check that.

If you want to put maps on it then look in to its operation with them.

Also reception with some are rubbish. I have more then one gps and my garmin gecko is just shocking I almost threw it in the bin. Don't buy a Gecko even if your on a budget.

I find Garmin is the best but magellan is O.K. Lowrance is reasonable. You can't go wrong with garmin though.

I use a garmin 60csx. Awesome unit. But unless you import it they are expensive. I got mine for 430 with postage from America.

It has super fast satellite acquisition and can hold a signal where none of the others can.

Xav

Yeah I have been looking at this one as well. Can you get hold of the Aussie maps online easily or do you have to buy them?

As far as what I want it to do is just setting way points of dams and other locations found to be a good spot to hunt and when on foot be able to find my way back out of the bush to my car and if it can record your movements that wouls also be great. The land topology maps look good.

Cheers for the replies

Nick

You can get the maps pretty easily but unless your good with comps and want to do things a little bit naughtily you might as well buy them - they are easy to get. And it is not to hard to make things work but can take some time to understand it all.

I'd suggest buying a book on gps devices and I'll find you the name of it ..... here we go.... http://www.gpsvehiclenavigation.com/GPS/ Just check it's the latest edition. Most of my friends have this book and it is by far the best one available. Even if your not going to be doing vehicle stuff it has huge amounts of info.

Just a note- if you have a pda already you can get an aerial for that and free/cheap software for it and not buy a gps at all.

Xav

I use a Garmin Etrex Camo, Wich i bought from Johnny Appleseed in sydney.

This is a tough, and reliable unit and has gotten me out of alot of trouble, and some nights spent outside.

Very good value for money.

Jono