Epirb

shet111

One time I fell over a cliff and was airlifted very quickly because of an epirb. They are worth every cent and more. As DJ says get the latest version as it is not only better but the other will be obsolete very soon.

They are not expensive when you work out what your getting and they last a long time.

If your going to be alone I strongly suggest you get one. If you get bitten by a snake and no phone reception u just let your epirb do its thing and you will be found.

Xav

Yes I don't go out bush without out it. Mine isn't very compact as I only use the one out of my boat but if I got stuck it would do the same job.

Just out of curiosity, what's the shelf life on an EPIRP. Are the batteries replaceable? Also curious if one needs to pay any subscription on one the use of the unit.

Thanks in advance

Marz

Just out of curiosity, what's the shelf life on an EPIRP. Are the batteries replaceable? Also curious if one needs to pay any subscription on one the use of the unit.

Thanks in advance

Marz

As far as i know they can have a battery life of up to 10 yrs but they recommend replacing the battery at half shelf life (5yr).

I havent herd of paying a subscription on one but could be wrong mate?

Yes I don't go out bush without out it.

Agree.

The basics on how it all works.

The old 121Mhz/243Mhz EPIRBS (also known as ELT's and PLB's and more, they are all the same system) just transmit a beacon signal. The satalite flys overhead, detects the signal and gives a ruff location. Several more satalites need to confirm this signal and help "pinpoint" the beacons location. But this "pinpoint" is within 20km's and takes at least 6 hours before SAR is on the way to you.

The new 406Mhz systems work in much the same way, but they transmit a coded signal that includes an ID number. This prevents false alarms caused by non-EPIRB devices. The 406Mhz system is also more accurate, locating you within 2km with 2hrs.

The 406Mhz GPS system is the best, they'll find you within 100m in about 4 minutes.

Also, a lot of the 406Mhz systems ALSO transmit a beacon on 121Mhz. This is because 121Mhz is in the middle of the air band and is often monitored by aircraft. Any aircraft that detects a beacon can report it thru air traffic control and get SAR started nice and early. The smaller aircraft (I'd hate to see a B747 doing this) can fly a special search pattern to locate the beacon.

There is no subscription fees. Pay for the device and replace the battery every now and then. Thats it.

If anyone is interested, this unit is the ducks guts: best maker (Aussie too) and it has GPS so best location accuracy.

http://www.prestigecom.net.au/index.php?ma...roducts_id=1310

I have no links with Prestige nor with GME. I prefer GME electronics because they are robust, quality products and I have used them for years in a marine environment. I really can't see any benefit in buying brands that don't have a strong reputation for reliability in Australia when your life could be on the line.