Purchasing A Compass

shet111

Hi all,

Well after some good advice from people on this site (Thanks fellas ;) ) I have decided to invest in a compass but what kind???

I was thinking Silva, are they any good? What should i look for in a good Compass?

Thanks.

PS- Apologies for all the posts of late but my brain is exploding with questions at the moment :D

Hi guys,

Decided to purchase this compass off ebay for $21.00, we shall see how it goes as soon as the rain stops!! :angry:

Should do the trick as its only a back up for the GPS. Now to track down a map of the Mount Disappointment Area, any ideas?

Thanks again for the advice.

e122_1_b.JPG

Hi guys,

Decided to purchase this compass off ebay for $21.00, we shall see how it goes as soon as the rain stops!! :angry:

Should do the trick as its only a back up for the GPS. Now to track down a map of the Mount Disappointment Area, any ideas?

e122_1_b.JPG

That's the type of compass I would recommend. Noting fancy, does the job

- and in my case, sits flat against my chest on a piece of string that I forget

it's there.

Re Mount Disappointment Area, go to the Map shop in Melbourne or call them and get it posted.

Have you thought about a lensatic compass? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...led_compass.jpg

They were designed for directing artillery, but are really good for other stuff too.

Hold them opened up and read the ruff direction, or line the sights up and get pinpoint headings.

I mean, hey. If the army uses them they must be ok.

This may sound a bit outdated in this day and age, but the GPS should be a backup for compas not the other way round. The batteries in a compas never go flat and sun spots dont affect them either. The military use similar items but they are graduated in mils not degrees. 6400 mils in a circle (if I remember) so they are more acurate over a long distance. I always carry both but still find myself referring to a quality map for my navigation.

IMHO, maps and a compass like the one pictured should be the choice. GPSs are great but I doubt that many can tell you if there is a cliff in the way when tramping through the scrub lol. The greater the detail on the map ie 1:25000 vs 1:50000 the better (go the 1:25000 in this case). With a good enough map and clear line of sight you will find you barely even need to refer to the compass unless of course you are already geographically embarrassed. As has already been stated in this thread GPSs can run out of battery life and to my knowledge there arent many around that show the going in great detail.

Cheers

Greg

IMHO, maps and a compass like the one pictured should be the choice. GPSs are great but I doubt that many can tell you if there is a cliff in the way when tramping through the scrub lol. The greater the detail on the map ie 1:25000 vs 1:50000 the better (go the 1:25000 in this case). With a good enough map and clear line of sight you will find you barely even need to refer to the compass unless of course you are already geographically embarrassed. As has already been stated in this thread GPSs can run out of battery life and to my knowledge there arent many around that show the going in great detail.

Cheers

Greg

Now to track down a map of the Mount Disappointment Area, any ideas?

I have a Rooftops map for that area, its fine. I bought mine from a outdoors type shop at Highpoint shopping center. They have maps for all of victoria and most of australia.

I don't think the type of compass is the main issue. Siva type , lensatic , prismatic whatever.

The main thing is you learn how to use it properly, how to allow for magnetic variation and how to calculate grid bearings from magnetic bearings an vica versa , etc.

I agree. You dont need spend a fortune on one, they work of the same bearings.