Camoflage

Asked this a while ago -- some fabrics I.e many of the Blaze articals are loaded with it and are beacons ( apparently ) whats the best way to dull off the UV from the Fabric

do you need the Ansco sort of stuff or will just repeated washing in the sports wash dull it out ?

** I use this stuff if anyone cares - http://www.ecoshop.com.au/asp/product.asp?...amp;PT_ID=all**

Edited by Balty

Check this out.

http://www.atsko.com/articles/clothing-car...conspiracy.html

My understanding of the sportswash is that it doesn't add phosphorescent brighteners, just washes your clothes. Also, I don't think it can remove brighteners once they are in the fabric as part of the dye.

There is a UV Killer though, I think that might do the trick but I haven't needed to try it

I use Lectric washing powder or if I run out then plain soap flakes.

If you want to check your gear stick it under a black light. You will soon see the UV relected light. Some fabrics are dyed with non brightener dyes

Altona why did you get the UV Killer when the wash doesnt have any brighteners?

Thought I'd give by backpck, bumbag and a few odds and ends the once over with the stuff.

Your post made me get thinking and it got me off my bum, so I've spent the last few hours camo painting my howa .308 stock. I already had the gear to go after a camo job post awhile back. I spray degreased then rinsed in bath. Sprayed on some plastic primer. Mixed up 4 colours of matte 2-pack dark karkee, brown, green and tan. I used some small leaved branches for the effect. I think it came out pretty good. I'll post again when I get all the metalwork done.

Must say, you've done a fine job there AltonaHunter.

Now take a look at some pictures from various postings of say, deer in the bush or blokes holding deer and spy the amount of white on the barks of trees, leaves, dirt, rocks etc. We don't seem to notice it or use it as a camo colour.

While my rifle with the white blotches looks like a crappy paint job (which it is) lying on the floor, when you put it in the trees it disappears. Also Jindydivers paint job, looks like the leg of a zebra but put it down in a bush and he might have trouble finding it again. And don't forget that most animals see in greyscale. My next job is to give my pack that "explosion in a paint factory" look.

Now don't take me the wrong way, with the job you've done on your firearm I wouldn't be surprised if you got inquiries!!

Grant

Those are some fine looking paint jobs, guys :)

Another option for those that don't want to paint their stocks is to get some of that "3m vet wrap". It's the stuff used to wrap the ankles of horses.

Some real neat stuff. Sticks only to itself and has alot of stretch so you can do up the barrel as well as the stock. Comes in a wide variety of colors. Best thing about it is you can use it just like camo tape...but it's removable and doesn't leave any sticky residue behind.

-Skunkly-

So explain again why guys are caming their rifles?

I can understand not wanting to have surfaces that will flash in the sunlight, but deer don't have the ability to "recognise" a rifle shape as rifle and understand the implications.. As far as sight goes, movement is by far the biggest give away and then the shape and colour of the upper human torso and head, followed by white hands flashing about all over the place...

'cause they want to :)

I like to break up straight lines. If a straight line moves behind another line it seems to be moving very fast (an optical illusion) and this attracts unwanted attention. You can see this effect yourself, if you have a picket fence with gaps between the palings you can get a metal rod (or any straight thing) and if you move it behind the fence at an angle to the slits it looks like many things moving up the fence. But if you break up the line of the rod with various colors you will see the effect is much reduced. A rifle barrel carried as you hunt will produce the same effect behind tea-tree trunks or whatever and in an endeavor where every advantage but our brains is in favor of the deer I figure I should make an effort to narrow the odds.

2006_1028012.jpg

I can understand not wanting to have surfaces that will flash in the sunlight, but deer don't have the ability to "recognise" a rifle shape as rifle and understand the implications.. As far as sight goes, movement is by far the biggest give away and then the shape and colour of the upper human torso and head, followed by white hands flashing about all over the place...

Because not all of us hunt dear!! I have done mine to hide from rabbits and foxes....and its worked quite well. I can almost walk right on top of rabbits before they see me and I had a fox almost bowl me over running right at me cos he didnt see me.

I guess noone can "PROVE" that camo has any effect on animals but it looks cool in my opinion and has so far woked well for me. But mainly I just love camo as a colour scheme in general.

Cheers.

Sorry gents, I was just stirring the pot a little :D :D I actually like someof the camo patterns espcially Blusokx Vanguard, and wouldn't mind having my Howa done like that, if only to rust proof the stainless steel a little...

Your post made me get thinking and it got me off my bum, so I've spent the last few hours camo painting my howa .308 stock. I already had the gear to go after a camo job post awhile back. I spray degreased then rinsed in bath. Sprayed on some plastic primer. Mixed up 4 colours of matte 2-pack dark karkee, brown, green and tan. I used some small leaved branches for the effect. I think it came out pretty good. I'll post again when I get all the metalwork done.

Thats gotta be the best home paint-job I've seen. Bloody nice work mate.