Camoflage

I was in the bush getting some promo pictures done a couple of weeks ago, and when we got to the processing stage something stuck out like the proverbial.

Although all of the camo clothing works very well, The other gear you carry, a lot of the time could be like a beacon to animals, especially deer which see very well.

I use a colour photo first then change it to greyscale to see what works and what doesn't to the eyes of a deer. This is a very basic method of comparing a human view and a deer view. We could add a bit of blue to get closer but lets not get too precious.

So the question is.. do you take as much care with your gear as you do with camo clothing?

If there are any responses to this, I'll post the pics and show what I had to do to my rifle to make it look like the bush. You might be surprised!

Grant

Powelly,

You are quite right deer can see Ultra Violet reflected light and blue is right next to that in the spectrum and it is pretty sure that they can see some blue as well. What I meant by my comment was that I could give the black and white image a little blue to give a closer view of how the deer see it. That is, if there is any blue light reflected off anything, this is how it would look.

Grant

Here are the first two pics for comparison

The rifle is easily visible as something not resembling a branch or stick.

Some camo tape will fix that problem easy. For deer, get your self a face veil - cover up. UV light makes human skin glow iridescently! Sport-Wash is another good product to minimise UV reflection off clothing.

Very true Drew but I'm talking about gear only, not clothing, and of course wear a veil. But you can camo your gear very cheaply and don't need to be fussy like painting those dainty little ferns on the stock of your rifle. As long as you break up the outline and don't worry about the colour too much, just plenty of contrast. Just don't paint anything blue.

Here is the rifle behind a bush just a bit of red paint then with the white added. It almost diasappears.

I dont know if any of you guys are aware of this, but true ADF issued Auscam has a II inhibitor chemical in the material. The down side is, that this chemical also makes Auscam very flamable - A complete set will burn with a naked flame in under 40sec flat. Real good since its very likely that at some stage of a conflict your going to get close to a naked flame! Never ceases to amaze me how stupid the system can get!

Drew

I have never heard of this "Sport-Wash" before, sounds like it does the same sort of thing. I'm betting its not flamable either, typical. :lol:

Also if you got your local surplus store, they should sell cam cream, its the war paint for your face. Since we are not allowed to call it cam cream with cadets (to wary) we call it multi coloured sun block (yes its SP30+ rated). See what I mean about the idiocracy!

SamHuntVic

As to your gear, mainly the firearm, try a bit of cam tape. The whole rifle as you know doen't need to be covered, just a few pieces placed in random spots at random angles. Same for any webbing/packs ect. IIRC its rather cheap.

Edited by Gibs

I use as much as I can. Got camo tape on my gun and legs of my camera tripod a bit on my movie camera and wear gloves and face mask

With all that's going on this seems a bit petty but I thought I'd just finish it off.

My original post was offering advice not asking for it.

My point is, Don't be scared to whack some outlandish patterns on your gear, which includes rifle and pack. Use white as well. I like the look of Jindydivers firearms. Some real flare there!! You have to see your gear in the bush to appreciate the changes you've made.

I wouldn't do this to my Anshutz

Here's the beast..

Thanks for the info Drew, I just bought some sports wash and UV killer from:

http://shop.ansco.com.au/store/index.shop

It's under proofing and repair. Hopefully this stuff works, I've got plans on painting my howa with a bit of pattern to complete the job too. Thanks again.