Advice On Field Knife Purchase Needed

Mat71

Hi I am new to hunting and was trying to establish what is the best options when it comes to an all-round off the shelf hunting knife. Is it best to carry one on a belt and have others available in a pack or is their a good all-round knife?

What is your preference fixed or folder and what type?

I could show you all the knives I have, but that would take too long.

Personally recommend TWO knives, one on the belt and one fixed blade.

Normally for me that's my Leatherman (lost at Relay For Life, not handed in to lost property... so much for the good nature of people helping a charity) and a fixed blade field knife, either my Gerber or Moroka 30 (Similar to this knife, but without the hook).

I normally keep a folding knife in my pack as well (making it three knifes). You never can have too many...

Mind you, I work on the principal of a knife is a tool to be used in a survival situation. A good fixed blade should be able to hit with a rock or heavy lump of wood on the end of it etc. Folders are nice for the space they take up, but make sure it has a very study lock on it.

• Like 1

Svord (NZ) and Dewey are well made. A drop point skinner would be a good all-around knife if you had to have only one.

The Havalon's are also a great all-purpose butchering knife if you had to only carry one. Not really a survival knife (too fragile) but if you just wanted one hunting knife it'd be a good choice.

I reckon most hunters would carry two knives :) and then some have a more extensive butchering set back at camp.

My leatherman is almost never off my belt. I keep a butchers knife set (boner, slicer, skinner & steel) either in the car or back at camp. This is my belt/pack knife (home made).

post-8822-0-14718700-1429986211_thumb.jpg

each to their own have look at what people suggest have a feel of the knife in hand.

i use a fixed coldsteel blade thats about 3-5inches long ( it's in the car atm cbf getting it out), good weight in hand not the right knife for some jobs but feels good in hand been nicer if was 6inches.

some excellent advise there Mat,

my advise for whats its worth is buy a few medium priced knives (some decent ones already suggested) and get out there and use them. you will find one that fits your hand and holds a good edge, thats the one to take every where you go, a smaller pocket sized lock knife and a heavier camp knife is pretty much all you will need.

Dont get to attached to them as you always seem to loose the best ones LOL.

in 40 years i have only worn one knife out, broken a lot and lost even more.

Best of luck with whatever you go for mate.

Paul

deadwood knives have a good range of fixed blade knives 'Boker' are one of the better brands imo. search deadwoodknives.com an american site but great to deal with, I've used them a few times with no complaints.