Looking For Hunting Boots

waydog

i'm updating all my gear for sambar hunting and ive gone and got new pants gaiters tops and jaket but not sure what type of or brand of boots to get. i know they must be water proof/resistant and not too high or too bulky. ive made some bad choices with boots in the past and i find it hard to choose the right ones.

what do you guys recomend?

I've bought Scarpa, Crisp, Rossi, Bluntstone, Brook and a few others.

The Scarpa are were by far the best boot I have ever owned, I had them for 10 and wore them virtually every day for 5 of those years while traveling. The down side here was cost, if I recall they were $300 or more 17 years ago.

The next would be the Crisp. I still have these, they are a great boot but just aren't water proof enough. I've had these for about 7 years also, they are just about up for replacement so I'm very interested in peoples comments.

Another thought.

I generally buy full leather (grained) boots.

One issue with the Taipans issued to the CFA for hilly country is that they are safety boots.

Climbing up steep hills the steel caps can dig into your toes a hurt a bit. So unless Taipan have a model without the steel cap I'd think twice about them.

Also, the ones we use have got zippers installed (removable, they are laced into the boot). Great for getting onto the truck quickly, but not the best idea for the ruff stuff where you need the laces a bit tighter.

That said, Taipans are a great boot. Was thinking about buying a pair myself till I had to use them in DSE's land. And if I find they do have a model without the steel cap, I will buy myself a pair of those.

This is the one we have. http://www.bootsatwork.com.au/view_product.php?id=117

Hmm, just found this one, looks identical but without the steel cap. http://www.bootsatwork.com.au/view_product.php?id=116

And for something not black, a "military" boot. http://www.bootsatwork.com.au/view_product.php?id=135

I've bought a pair of Meindl's after ruining my feet on the first hunt bey wearing Redback's. You should try on several brands and see what feels the best. I can't fault the Meindl's tho they are quite expensive. I didn't have to break them in, they fit me like a glove. Most my mates bought their boots from Ray's. I think as long as you buy the best you can afford you'll be right. There's no point looking into cheaper options as your feet will suffer and blisters will definitely ruin a hunt.

Marz

I've bought a pair of Meindl's after ruining my feet on the first hunt bey wearing Redback's. You should try on several brands and see what feels the best. I can't fault the Meindl's tho they are quite expensive. I didn't have to break them in, they fit me like a glove. Most my mates bought their boots from Ray's. I think as long as you buy the best you can afford you'll be right. There's no point looking into cheaper options as your feet will suffer and blisters will definitely ruin a hunt.

Marz

Marz

When you say Ray's do ya mean Boot's camping (Ray''s outdoors) on Parramatta Rd

Sorry Marz

Just realised your in VIC. I doubt you'd be traveling to Sydney for boots.

He probably does mean Rays Outdoors anyway.

I use some boots I got from Rays as well that are no longer available and they are

worth checking out but there does seem to be a correlation between Price and Performance.

I would strongly suggest you look at te price and how long they are likely to last - it may be

a high up front cost but if they last 10 years, it works out about 12 cents a day !!

with the aussie $ being so strong it might pay to look O/S too..... might be some good bargains to be had

yea, i boght all els os, but must try boots on to buy. but ive still got it wrong before!!!ei: slightly too big , not water proof, etc.

i might go out this week and get some so i can walk them in.

The only thing between you and the ground are those expensive European boots.

The more you spend the better you will feel.

And the better your feet will feel at the end of the day.

You rememeber the blisters and sore feet long after the cheap price is forgotten !!!

I agree with the idea that buying boots OS or via the net etc. could be a bit risky.

You really need to try them on and walk around the shop for a while to truely evaluate if they are suitable for you.

Maybe you could find the boot you want in a shop then buy the same thing elsewhere but we all need to be fair to the retailers. If we all do this they won't stock them any more.

Just remember those blisters, not getting that shot because your feet are sore and your mates out for a walk while you lag behind..

Edited by markzz

I just use Vibrams, you get them from outdoor shops. They are about $180. Then i have sea to summit Gaters, about $35. Im quite happy with them both.

Hi all,

a much discussed topic this. I too have not been able to find a boot that i am "over the moon" about.As far as work boots go anyhow.Remember that you spend more time in these than any other footware by far if you are a tradie.Personally i am in mine 12-14 hour a day at least 5 days a week.A hunting boot is generally gonna get a harder life i think so it needs to be comfy.I've tried a few but nothing so far thats any good for a long days walk.

Sounds like Tiapans might be worth a go,but 2 hours with the google buttons has got me nowhere as far as a retail outlet in west Sydney.CAN ANYBOBY HELP PLEASE?

CHEERS .........SORE FEET SMITHY

well all my years of bush walking Tasmania have made me realise THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS WATER PROOF BOOTS!

its better to get boots that fit very well.....im also looking for new boots

something like these i think for me!

http://www.zamberlan.com/catalog/index.php...cat&idcat=9