Machetes

Duncs

The best in my humble opinion is the british Martindale #2

Its not ridiculously long like most

Balanced very nicely

Made for work not show

Theres a few copies around - you want the original Martindale #2

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/817725-Martindale-Golok

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/martindale-golok-british-army-machete---the-genuine-one-78-p.asp

I got one but not as flash as those, its English made by Brades.

Picked it up at a clearance sale somewhere.

Its not all that long, and i have never used it.

Your arms would handle the weight swinging it around.

If you want it Duncs its yours.

I bought one by cold steel for 40 dollars. Gurkha Kukuri design dont care if it gets scratches on the blade and whatnot just use it for hacking at bush when im walking around shooting. If you get one online either pay a bit more for it to be sharpened properly or be prepared to sharpen it yourself.

gdsay duncs, i carry a small pair fo secaturs in the day pack for the times when a bit of pruning will get you to" that spot" without a long hard detour.have tried to find a small pouch for the belt but no luck yet[thats what you get for buying a cheap pair] i think a quiet prune session might be a bit quieter than a bit of jungle hacking,just my thoughts.cheers

gday fosta,just reading a sthil ad.they had a cordless tree pruner,be quick and quiet..... bit bulky me thinks...lol. i thought i was the only one thinking of secaturs. cheers

Some of those coldsteel ones look the goods! I like the gladiator one :). How would you resist screaming at the top of your lungs and brandishing it above your head each time toy unsheathed it?

I do have secateurs on my belt already for sneaky work and they work great (they're Leathermans from memory) but for the places that are just too hard to get through, I reckon a machete is the go. The idea would be to hack a path through then come back later for a sneak around.

Optic - you're a legend. At this rate, you'll be asking me to borrow your gear back before too long...

I've been meaning to get one for the same reason duncs, just ordered this one:

Nice and light and personally I find parangs easier to use than golok style. Might have to buy one of those zombie killer ones too...just in case. Hey I watched zombieland last night.

Some of those coldsteel ones look the goods! I like the gladiator one :). How would you resist screaming at the top of your lungs and brandishing it above your head each time toy unsheathed it?

I do have secateurs on my belt already for sneaky work and they work great (they're Leathermans from memory) but for the places that are just too hard to get through, I reckon a machete is the go. The idea would be to hack a path through then come back later for a sneak around.

Optic - you're a legend. At this rate, you'll be asking me to borrow your gear back before too long...

Like i said never used mate, be one less thing to get rid of off the shelf.

I've been meaning to get one for the same reason duncs, just ordered this one:

Nice and light and personally I find parangs easier to use than golok style. Might have to buy one of those zombie killer ones too...just in case. Hey I watched zombieland last night.

The El Salvadorians make mighty fine machetes.

On the topic of legal, I'd say it depends on if you call it a knife or a sword. One you need a good reason, the other you need a permit. And as you can buy them over the counter at most camping stores, I'd say they are a "large knife".

I got myself a parang from Aussie Disposals. It's a curved style machete.

For me, the biggest thing was the feel of it. I looked at some others including one with a saw blade on the back of it, but they didn't feel right in my hand.

The one I ended up with was a Bear Grylls branded one (made by Gerber) and it's copped a bit of abuse from me already. From cutting some small trees (about an inch diameter) to scrub I'm a convert to the use of a big heavy blade when needed. Also used it for some light bush craft like making tent pegs. Did the job well.

I'm not going to recommend specific brands per say (other then to say what I use and my feelings about it), but will give some pointers on them.

You want something stiff with a big of weight in the end of the blade. No good having it flex as it hits or having to use your muscles do all the work.

You can get straight (machete) or curved (parang) blades. Curved blades are meant to slice better as you swing them in an arc, but it's really personal preference.

You can get saw blades on the back of them. This is good for cutting logs that are too big to slice, but bad if you want to use the blade for fine control (ie, notching the tent pegs by holding the back of the blade).

Make sure it has a wrist strap and a good sheath. Both are for your safety. And on the topic of safety when swinging it at the scrub, make sure you cut across your body and not down towards your legs.

Btw, I've heard good things about the Cold Steel brand, but never owned one myself.

Can vouch for Condors products, very very good, I have their Village Parang and Bushlore knife, I doubt you could find better quality for the price.

For normal scrub and camp use though, i've got a Martindale #2, compact, light weight, does the job. The only let down with the Martindale is that they come with really crappy sheaths, if any at all. I ended up buying a bunch of leather working tools to make my own, it was that bad.