Bowie knife

Rifletuner

This is a bowie made from 5.5mm S35VN steel with a saber grind bevel and a harpoon grind on the swage. The handle is olive wood given to me by aushunt member Gryphon, with black G10 liners brass pins & lanyard tube, and with a hand rubbed Aussie Oil finish.

IMG-4473.jpg

IMG-4479.jpg

IMG-4481.jpg

IMG-4490.jpg

IMG-4487.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Duncs said:

Niiiice. Again!

Do you use a jig to grind in the shape or is it all by hand/eye?  I doubt I could produce anything that good by hand

No, I mostly dont use jigs. This one is all freehand. Grinding well and consistently is the biggest learning curve. It has taken me years to get to the point where I feel like I am turning out okay work. I am still a beginner though. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, gryphon said:

Howzabout some dimension specs RT? IE blade length, handle length.

Steel is 5.5 mm, so that is the thickest part on the spine. Overall length is 10.5". Handle is 4.75". Blade is 5.75" long and 1.5" deep at the bevel. The edge is ground to 0.3mm which is where I try to take most user knives to as its a good balance between keeping the edge fairly strong and keeping the edge slicy. If its a bushcrafter knife that might be doing chopping work, I will grind to around 0.4mm or even .5mm, and for a kitchen knife I go for close to a "zero grind" on the edge, so around 0.1mm.

• Thanks 1

Looks to be well made with a very nice finish. 

You have posted the dimensions, that puts it into perspective, did you weigh it also?

2 hours ago, Foxdog said:

Looks to be well made with a very nice finish. 

You have posted the dimensions, that puts it into perspective, did you weigh it also?

No I havent. I will try to put it on a scale & see what it weighs