Decent Model Of Handheld Spotlight

paulmor07

Hey guys,

My old spotlight is starting to get in pretty poor condition and has never been too bright so I was looking at getting a new one.

I've had a look around some gun shops and a couple of camping shops but dont really know what I'm looking for and some seemed very overpriced.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent handheld spotlight for shooting at a .22 range and maybe even a rough price and place to look for it.

Sorry if there are similar threads elsewhere, I had a quick look and couldnt see many, I'm over my internet cap so I was struggling though. :(

Thanks, Paul.

Hey paul, I can recommend the lightforce 240Blitz from personal experience... very bright, light to hold (only does catch the wind a bit due to its large diameter), and has adjustable focus.

Are you using it from a vehicle or battery pack, 240 is only good from a solid power source.

Expect to pay $136 for the very cheapest I think doubleRcustoms has them in SA, but probably more like $165.

IMO: Even though I own a 240Blitz, the 170 is also a very good light and is only $108. Powerbeam are supposed to be a very good light too but are a bit heavier... note they are also tuffer.

For a .22 a cree led lenser with scope mount will do the job mate; anything from $30 - $150.

Paid $70 for mine and its ok out to 150m. weighs about 300grams.

Thanks for the replies guys,

The lightforce ones do look good, however i mostly use the spotty from a battery pack. Will the smaller model like the 170 run efficiently from a motorbike battery or similar?

I hadn't heard much about those scope mountable LEDs but man they look cool and wow bright too :lol:

I think I will have to save that for another day because I want one I can use with the shotty on occasion too.

Has anyone ordered the lightforce or powerbeam online or got a good price at a shop in Vic? I live in Melbourne and don't remember seeing much of these brands around and if they are at my local gunshops they will probably charge me the earth for them..

Edited by paulmor07

I have an SL170 and it is a great light. However, I use mine off the car battery and have it mounted to a Lightforce Support-a-light and RC225 handle, for in vehicle use.

I have a lightforce night hunter scope mounted spotlight. I think it is the Lance 140 with scope mount kit.

I hadn't heard much about those scope mountable LEDs but man they look cool and wow bright too :lol:

I think I will have to save that for another day because I want one I can use with the shotty on occasion too.

The night hunter comes with a shotgun mount too.

Having said this I usually just use a LED Lenser P7 with one of these scope mounts

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12000

which is also great for strapping the P7 to the shottie.

post-8822-1261891997.jpg

It sounds like the Lightforce 170 or maybe 140 is the way to go, I'll ust have to have a look around and try to find a good price. It'l be great having an on/off switch on my spotty again, I bypassed mine after the switch broke about a year ago lol

You've got me very interested in those scope mount LED lights too :P

Think I might have to grab one of those when I have the cash :)

Thanks for the advice

Hi gafloss, how much did u pay for the LED Lenser P7 if you dont mind me asking?

I have a lightforce night hunter scope mounted spotlight. I think it is the Lance 140 with scope mount kit.

The night hunter comes with a shotgun mount too.

Having said this I usually just use a LED Lenser P7 with one of these scope mounts

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12000

which is also great for strapping the P7 to the shottie.

Hi gafloss, how much did u pay for the LED Lenser P7 if you dont mind me asking?

Hi Firefox,

If you're thinking about getting a good torch have a look in the rabbit and fox hunting forums at some of fenrings posts. Also, someone else did a really thorough comparison between the Eagletac and the Wolfeyes that is well worth reading. I think they were both posted around the start of this year or late last year. I was convinced, my Eagletac arrived last week and I,m waiting for the batteries, charger and mount to turn up from a mob in the U.S. called dealextreme. All up about $70 delivered.

Cheers, Darren.

I use a 170 lightforce from the cab of ute or fourby, then I have a cree LED on top of the rifle and then I have a cree LED headlight on just incase I jump out of the ute and have to chase something.

The CREE torches off Ebay are OK and only cost around $20, mine are good out to as far as the .22's are able to hit anything.

I use rechargable batteries in mine and they last over 7 hours.

I also have used my Lightforce off a motor bike battery , in a backpack on my back and got a whole evening walking around with it going, I also had it running off one of the small sealed 12 volt batteries ( the back up batteries for an alarm system) they are about 250 X 100 X 150 deep and got about 5 hours off it before it started to drop in power.

The 170 is a million candle power and focusable the 240 is just more of a good thing but the small one is good for just about any spotlighting situation you will have and it's bloody light and has a spare globe in the handle it has a nut in the bottom for attatching it to a scope or remote system or even bolting onto your roobar as an extra spotty for driving, we have nailed foxs out to 250m with a .223 no problem any further and haze etc just messes up the picture in the scope.

LED Lenser P7 - $95 at the LGS - it was one of those spur-of-the-moment decisions. aaa batteries which is handy. I use rechargeables and just carry an extra set with me, never needed them though.

There are some brighter led torches around now - check out some of the other recent threads.

No worries gafloss thanks for that Ill check them out

LED Lenser P7 - $95 at the LGS - it was one of those spur-of-the-moment decisions. aaa batteries which is handy. I use rechargeables and just carry an extra set with me, never needed them though.

There are some brighter led torches around now - check out some of the other recent threads.

Hi darrenm, thanks for that Ill check out some of the others forums and get some ideas

Hi Firefox,

If you're thinking about getting a good torch have a look in the rabbit and fox hunting forums at some of fenrings posts. Also, someone else did a really thorough comparison between the Eagletac and the Wolfeyes that is well worth reading. I think they were both posted around the start of this year or late last year. I was convinced, my Eagletac arrived last week and I,m waiting for the batteries, charger and mount to turn up from a mob in the U.S. called dealextreme. All up about $70 delivered.

Cheers, Darren.