Gaiters

This time of year boys the Tigers dance, by that i mean they stand up on their tail.

All to do with testosterone and stuff finding a chick snake.

Nothing is more scarey than looking a big Tiger in the eyes.

Forget the boots and jeans.

As for the Browns, they are bloody fast. 3MM fangs or not. Your mind will tell you they are 30MM long.

Im happy if i see them first, not happy when when i stumble across them.

Isnt it funny how you fall over them instead of standing on them when you see them at the last second.

Hate the buggers.

im the op. so i figured youd made it in relation to me not stating where I was. secondly, i was asking what brands people were using, and recomended. i wasnt after shop addresses, my apologies if i jumped the gun!

p.s if i am unsure what a x52 is id google it anyway :)

No problems, the digital world is one that has many emotions, but fails on correct delivery of which emotion is in use.

(For the record, the X52 I have is a joystick, BUT there is a couple of versions available and Google will also show results for a "Lowrance X-52 Fishfinder" and a "X-52 Rocket Helmet" for World of Warcraft)

As for the original topic, was hiking a few weeks back with a group and we ran across a Red Belly Black snake, it made tracks for thicker scrub before we could point it out to everyone (we were as a navigation way point, but otherwise I was tasked with spotting animal sign for the others to observe and learn. Good trip, the kids saw Goannas, Roos, Emu and the snake plus sign from deer and horse along with clear game trails).

As was said the fangs are small, so long pants worn loosely of a study material are you're best defense. If you wanted better protection without the cost of gaitors, I would consider some sort of thick leather "gaitor" worn under your pants. Many snake attacks on long loose pants get the pants ONLY. I don't have exact figures or the reasons why, but my guess is that the snake sees a target as big as the pants and strikes not realizing the real target is much smaller and inside (Think about when you walk down some steps and misjudge the last one, causing you to stumble).

In any case, I hope your concerns don't keep you out of the bush in the summer, it's beautiful all year round.

thanks junglefisher, a little re assuring, i wouldnt be wearing pants, if its hot enough for snakes im in shorts. lol. i would never have thought fangs were so small, although ive never seen fangs close up. (probly a good thing). im thinking any gaiters that are thicker than say 5 mm should be ok.

Chrisso if you want gaiters 5mm thick or more, you'll have to wear 3 pairs at once.

Grant

So the thick canvas ones I'm looking at are less?

Definitely. 5mm thick canvas would be like plywood I'd reckon. I doubt it is even made.

I bought Sally a pair of those very expensive bite proof ones. They are made of very heavy canvas and by looking at it, I'd say it's 0.3mm thick (big guess - but you get what I mean).

Yeah - dunno for sure. Its certainly tough stuff but I haven't got the first idea about snakes or their fangs.

I can tell you one thing for certain though, if Sally gets bitten through them, I'll be asking for my money back for sure.

Name someone who had been bittern by a snake, when you have been their or family member so it's first or second hand seeing/ hearing it. My opinion being bitten by a snake in the bush is very slim, last summer was the most snakes I've seen, over 40, hunting and trout fishing in shorts and sandles so I got samhunt gators just in case, like I said earlier being bittern by a snake in my opinion is slim

I love your thinking. I think I have a higher change of being in a car accident however, so from now on I'll be wearing a full fire proof race suit, crash helmet with neck brace and installing a roll cage and 5 point harnesses in every seat. Can't be too safe now can I???

I'll also have to give that door to door salesman a call back and accept his offer of falling airplane insurance.

And no way am I riding my off-road mountain bike without wearing a full explosive ordinances disposal suit. Thats the only way I can escape without the risk of gravel rash....

Did I go a little overboard, again?

I was going to say something about the risks, but didn't want to be overbearing on you Chrisso.

At the end of the day, if you're nervous or concerned in anyway then do what you think is right. There's no harm or shame in it.

The truth is however, we take HUGE risks every day and don't even realize it. I mean, who's idea was it to place two cars speeding along at 100kph each in opposite directions with only a white line 50mm thick separating them??? (No it's not a 200kph impact, due to Newtons 3rd law it's only a 100kph impact. This theory has been tested and proven. But still, a 100kph impact is still pretty bad!!!)

I for one will take the following precautions. I will wear long loose pants and sturdy boots when walking in the bush and will carry a first aid kit or be in yelling distance of someone who does. And I won't fear going out in the bush in the summer like some deer hunters around here do.

What's your problem dj? All you seem to do is have some smartass Internet nerd humor to add to this thread. Who cares if I'm being over cautious. There was a reason for this thread and it's not for you to get on here with your high and mighty attitude and ridicule it. Any wonder there's less and less people trying to get help from anyone with wankers like you on here.

Sorry did I go overboard?

I recently got the moroka 30 gaitors. Theyre very well made and have been tested on all aussie venomous snakes. They are a bit exxy but if you happened to be struck at by a king brown Id be glad that I paid a bit more for a lil more safety especially out solo backpack hunting. Virtually every time I go out hunting or even putting out a trail camera I end up having to push through thick scrub where a close encounter of the snakey kind could easily lead to a bite simply because you cant see em.

I recently got the moroka 30 gaitors. Theyre very well made and have been tested on all aussie venomous snakes. They are a bit exxy but if you happened to be struck at by a king brown Id be glad that I paid a bit more for a lil more safety especially out solo backpack hunting. Virtually every time I go out hunting or even putting out a trail camera I end up having to push through thick scrub where a close encounter of the snakey kind could easily lead to a bite simply because you cant see em.

thanks mate

if anyone is remotely interested i found these. they are thicker than 5mm being 7.112mm with the inserts, they also look to be less restrictive than might have been thought.

Wheres the link?

Why don't you just make your own and feel happy about it. Get an old wetsuit and cut the legs off to the length that you want. 4mm neoprene will stretch down to 3mm and that will be plenty thick enough, why not start with 5mm, that should do it.

Gaiters on the market are just not aimed at snake bite protection, there's burrs and stones that you want to keep out of your boots. Then water protection for your socks. Sure, you get condensation inside but it's not the same as water sneaking down your socks and ruining your day with crook feet. Anyone, anyone at all please tell me about any person in Australia who has been envenomated by a snake through gaiters. I will be most interested.

Grant.