Latest Knives

gafloss

These are my latest knives - the last two for the overseas order. Now I can make another one for myself!

I'm really happy with the way these two sheaths finished up. The blades are Japanese made high carbon 6A stainless which has been cryogenically treated. I've nearly finished making an electrochemical etching unit so, hopefully, the ones I make from here in will have my logo etched into them.

gallery_8822_98_83422.jpg

The wood on the left is Hairy Oak & the right is Beefwood.

gallery_8822_98_18081.jpg

gallery_8822_98_7099.jpg

They are absolutely scmicko, Geoff.

How much for one in Beefwood?

At the moment I'm only making them for mates & the deal is cost + 50%. That means these ones will be about $110 each.

One day I'll set myself up a bit better & sell them but, for now, I'm happy pottering in the garage & getting a few dollars to pay for the occasional knife for myself & a few more tools. I found that I didn't enjoy making these ones as much as the first few, as I had a deadline to meet. I'll probably just make the knives I want to make & if someone wants one then that's fine, the whole custom made-to-order thing doesn't interest me, at this stage.

Great knives Geoff. I love the cross pins on the Hairy Oak.

Thanks guys. I hope to start making my own mosaic pins soon, too. Too many jobs & too little time.....

If your considering making pins Geoff dont go sucking the epoxy up the tube with your mouth use a hand vacuum pump. You can get a pump delivered for $35 on ebay. Also comes in handy bleading brakes.

Great looking knives btw.

Very professional looking Geoff.

Hard to decide what looks better, the sheaths or the knives! How much time in the sheaths?

My pick would be the Hairyoak.

If they were for identical knives, I could probably knock up 2 or 3 in a weekend. There's a lot of stop - start time while waiting for glues & finishes to dry.

If your considering making pins Geoff dont go sucking the epoxy up the tube with your mouth use a hand vacuum pump. You can get a pump delivered for $35 on ebay. Also comes in handy bleading brakes.

Great looking knives btw.

Yep, I grabbed one of those last week :thumbsu:

Any recommendations for the epoxy?

I duno Geoff, thinner the better I suppose. Most of my epoxys are fairly thick. Theres stuff called glass coat thats pretty runny but genearally intended for a coating but Im sure itd do the job being a 2 part mix.You can get it from spotlight and its cheap.

The ones I've got are thick, too. Apparently you need a slow curing one & I've heard heating it slightly makes it thinner.

I can't even get the rods I want in town & there were none in Coffs Harbour last week - something else to look for next time I hit the Big Smoke.

Again great stuff geoff. Siting in the shed today with the fire going ( for the first time) i started thinking about knocking up a few serious knifes

On a shit day with the fire going, i couldn't think of a better project.

Plenty of hide out there, and machinery, just need some hand tools for the leather work.

And of course a place to get all the bits needed.

Are there any good books available on knife and sheath making, types of blanks ETC?

Sign up to bladeforums Optic theres a wealth of info everything knives on there.

For leather and leather tools lefflers in Port Melbourne is a one stop shop. Theyve got raw leather, dies, cuttingtools, stamps, waxed cotton, books on leather work and great prices.

Sign up to bladeforums Optic theres a wealth of info everything knives on there.

For leather and leather tools lefflers in Port Melbourne is a one stop shop. Theyve got raw leather, dies, cuttingtools, stamps, waxed cotton, books on leather work and great prices.

Thanks for that info AH.

Just had a quick look at the work the boys do.

It will take a month to read through that lot.

Not to take any thing away from you Gaf, there are some nice end products on show in that forum.

And i think yours are up to the same standard Geoff.