Garmin Gps

shooter223

hi

i am looking at a Garmin Etrex Legend GPS to use while deer hunting. has any one got one. what are they like and would you recomend them. any advice would be great

Cheers Brent

Hi Brent

I have a MAGELLAN EXPLORIST 500 COLOUR GPS and its great. Not sure about this one or what price maps are.

The Magellan has a good set of topo maps available

Nick

Edited by Off_Target

I like the garmins. We have a older GPS 12 whichs I use out in the bush, a GPSMAP 76 whiched used to be in a plane but but now is a handheld, IMO, thats the best value for money I think. They are about $300 if you know where to look.

Ive used the etrex but dont like it that much, im used to the bigger screnes of the others and also the erganomics, I think the bigger ones are easier to use as the have bigger buttons, especially when using gloves.

Just my 0.02c worth mate.

I have a Garmin eTrex. Beautiful little machine. Very user friendly, fast and accurate. It can drop me within 5m of my spots on a clear day. Use it in my boat and for hunting. Good, cheap, reliable.....Can't ask for more than that. B)

I have been thinking about getting an Etrex H Type.

I would love a fancy model but for approx $140, surely one can't complain too much? Got to be better than none right?

Jock,

http://www.ja-gps.com.au/ or http://www.prestigecom.net.au/

Prestige have better after sales service from what I have read (ie warranty issues). Maybe others can elaborate more?

I have had a Gamin Geko 201 for about 5 years and is a great little entry level gps. It doesn't have mapping but puts you on the spot record points, tracks etc and is very small, light and robust. Top basic unit but chews the batteries a bit quick. I have recently upgraded to a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx. It has maps and does everything that my Geko did but better. A bit bigger but still a nice size and weight to put in your pocket, good topo maps available and very good battery life. I have a Garmin GPS72 that work supplies me with. Is a bigger unit, with a large display and large buttons. It is a bit too big for my liking. It has a few more features than the etrex but you need to be extreme in your use to use them. The eTrex is my pick. A mate has a Magelin for his boat and he likes it, but I have had a play and different menu's etc put me off a bit but I guess it's what you get used to - I'm sure they are good.

Buy a decent brand and you can't go wrong. After that it is a matter of how much cabbage you want to spend, what do you want it to do (map or just store points etc) , and preference on features such as size, weight, battery life, colour vrs b&w screens, amount of data you want to store.

They are a great toy and hunting/safety companion.

This usually takes only 50 to 100 meters of walking for the GPS to lock an accurate direction and then you can visually sight the way for as far as you can see to some feature and then turn it off.

A trick to make the GPS navigation arrow ( Not the fluxgate compass ) come up pointing approximately in the right direction first time is.

Set your GPS for north up in the settings.

Carry a small magnetic compass and check north direction.

Orientate the GPS so the top is pointing to north before you turn it on and select a goto waypoint.

When the nav arrow comes up it will be pointing in the approximate correct direction.

Then walk off in that direction and let the unit lock its direction and confirm the more exact direction and distance to the waypoint .

This saves that little wander about for 30 meters or so before the GPS makes any sense.

This allows you to use it a bit more like a normal magnetic compass.

Or just have a simple Silva compass with you and read the direction to the waypoint, then just sight your compass and walk. You just need to set your GPS to display the heading/bearing info in MAGNETIC not TRUE, and then you don't even need to do any maths :)