Range Finder

Ok guys as the title says I'm after a good Range Finder, the budget is $400. Any recommendations would be greatly accepted. As I live remote I can not just "drop in" to the local gun shop and have a fiddle with them, so I'm really counting on unbiased opinions with what you have had a play with in the field.

Thanks Whistler

Hey there mate. I recently got one myself after chasing goats around the hills near Myrtleford. I'm looking at working up a long range flat shooting 150gr barnes ttsx out of the .308 for the ferrals and the odd sambar if one makes an appearance. I read a lot of reviews and from what I found most cheaper models max out at around 4-500mtrs. I saw this one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LASER-RANGE-FINDER-LR1500-SLOPE-with-ANGLE-COMPENSATION-8x30mm-SCAN-HUNTING-CAMO-/221280052390?pt=AU_Hunting&hash=item338551a4a6

Thought I'd roll the dice as they're satisfaction guarantee sells its self.

I did a bit of testing the other day around town. I was able to range trees out to 820mtrs and a car at 900 (reflective targets work better). I checked accuracy with my gps and google earth and there was a margin of error of upto 6mts which I can certainly live with. The optics through was to be expected on par with a $50 pair of chingnese binos but clear enough to easily to spot your target. I haven't gotten out hunting with them yet but hopefully I can get out in a couple of days and do some real testing. For the money spent from what I've seen so far theyre well worth it.

I have a Bushnell ARC model (not sure of the number). It does the job pretty well. The ARC models give hold-over readings when set up properly.

As Altona mentioned, they are dependent on the laser being reflected back off something. I've had a few occasions where I couldn't get a reading off anything near the target but neither could a couple of mates with different units. Leupold & Redfield ones seem to be OK, too.

I have one of the Bushnells but have never compared it with anything - sounds like a good afternoon spent next forum hunt?

I reckon people spend money on the long range ones for no benefit. Some will be shooting past 500m but most won't consider a shot past 300m (or whatever). The name brands have cheaper models that top out around the 400/500/600m mark. They're the ones I'd be looking at.

Some have models aimed at the golfing nerds but I'll bet they're the same as the shooting ones. Dunno if they price them differently?

Range finders are something that I think I need when I have nothing else to do, the ebay one that Altonahunter got I seriously considered but then I thought WHY? Unless you're hunting the wide open spaces or hunting little varmints at long range I personally wouldn't need one. Just something else to carry around and complicate things?

Cool things though, mmmm I guess I really haven't helped, sorry.

Good to hear a positive report on the ebay unit though, one day when I'm stuck at home and bored........................

Cheers,

Waldo

Im no expert at judging distance at longer ranges and I know many people are the same. If Im guna make a 400mtr shot then I need to be able to accurately judge distance and account for the projectiles trajectory. If your hunting scrub your rarely guna need a rangefinder.But lately Ive been glassing goats out to 1300mtrs and and opposite face/long range hunt is ideal. Thats where a rangefinder comes in.

Thanks for the feed back guys. The main reason Im looking at one is because back in May I had the chance on a big stag, I watched him for 1/2 an hour as he slowly fed his way towards us. I had a GUESS that he was about 300 mts away. Any way I could not move without the 3-4 hinds giving me away, so it's always been in the back of my mind " how close was he" "could I have taken the shot"

I let him go because I was not confident in taking a shot at that distance. I will be back down there at Xmas so I would love to find out, who knows he might be there waiting for me......I do not want to pass him up again if he is in hard antler.

Whistler

I've got a Leopold 1000. It'll do 1000m to a "reflective" target, but realistically it'll get you 500-700m depending on the exact target and conditions.
It's got a bunch of cool features like digital compass, digital thermometer, ballistic drop calculator etc. But all I want from it is the distance to target. And it'll give it to me direct, or angle compensated.

Does ok and will suit MOST hunters. Long term I will need to upgrade it to something that can range non-reflective targets beyond 1500m.

I have the leupold TBR RX1000i & it's a great little piece of kit. Easy to use & view the readout. It has true ballistic range capability for angled shots too. There are two on used guns I think for $350ea & that should be a new product.

Cheers

Waz

Ps Has the misses caught any sails from the tinny yet mate ?

It's the Leupold TBR RX 1000i that I'm interested in so I will check that one out Wazza.

As for the Sails we have only had the one hook up and droped it after 5 min. She always seems to be on call when the neap tides are here, so chances are limited.

Whistler

Yeah Whistler, a few times ive seen a couple biggens on a property I hunt, always thought from where I sat was a long way off em, passed em up a couple times an now I have a range finder, figured out they are 350 away an next time he steps out.... its on!

I bought mine 2nd hand off a roo shooter in WA, I ranged out to 450 so far.... plenty enough for myself. I only paid 150 though. its a bushnell.

buy better if u can, kinda handy, but kinda bulky n another thing in the backpack... but great for those 'how far is that I wonder' an 'shoot I shoot him that far' situations

WL

Hey there mate. I recently got one myself after chasing goats around the hills near Myrtleford. I'm looking at working up a long range flat shooting 150gr barnes ttsx out of the .308 for the ferrals and the odd sambar if one makes an appearance. I read a lot of reviews and from what I found most cheaper models max out at around 4-500mtrs. I saw this one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LASER-RANGE-FINDER-LR1500-SLOPE-with-ANGLE-COMPENSATION-8x30mm-SCAN-HUNTING-CAMO-/221280052390?pt=AU_Hunting&hash=item338551a4a6

Thought I'd roll the dice as they're satisfaction guarantee sells its self.

I did a bit of testing the other day around town. I was able to range trees out to 820mtrs and a car at 900 (reflective targets work better). I checked accuracy with my gps and google earth and there was a margin of error of upto 6mts which I can certainly live with. The optics through was to be expected on par with a $50 pair of chingnese binos but clear enough to easily to spot your target. I haven't gotten out hunting with them yet but hopefully I can get out in a couple of days and do some real testing. For the money spent from what I've seen so far theyre well worth it.

Any further updates on the rangefinder Altonahunter, have you had it out hunting yet?

Cheers,

Waldo

Any further updates on the rangefinder Altonahunter, have you had it out hunting yet?

Cheers,

Waldo

Ive used it a few times now while out after my first billy. Ive been impressed with it, ranged distances across gullies from 200mtrs to 800. It came in handy the other day, I had a mob feeding up an opposite hill and were coming closer as they did. I managed to find the spot that had me closest to them and waited til they got there. It was at 240mtrs which is a range I've never shot at. I missed and they got away, not sure where the bullet actually impacted. Ive ordered some 130grain barnes ttsx and will work up a flat shooting load for use on goats, fingers crossed for next time.

I've got the Vortex 1000 Rangefinder, good little bit of kit, I've ranged cows out to 500 odd mtrs so far, I use mine for ranging bunnies and for foxes but what I really like using it for is to look at something and guess the distance then range it and see how close I was - FMD my guestimations are way out! LOL but I am getting be as a result of doing this.

The other great thing about the Vortex Rangefinder is it has a Lifetime No Fault Warranty! that's a lifetime of use without ever having to fork out $$$ to replace it if it dies! What a bargain!!!

I have a Bushnell 600 and when I first got it I took it to my silhouette club and ranged it on all the targets and gongs set at different distances and it was within 1-2 m of the target from the firing line , who's to say the targets are set at the exact range but it ranged the same distance when I went along the line of targets, I ranged the Rams from the firing line and 10 of them all ranged at 501 m each and the other targets all were the same so I am happy with it's repeat-ability.

In the bush it would range off Roo's etc out to 350 m , that was about the furthermost I could get a good shot at an animal with it as the paddocks are small and have timber right thru them.

My mate has a Leica 1000 and uses it for everything around the farm right down to distance from point "a" to point "b" for laying pipe so he can get enough for the job. It's fantastic at night when out Roo shooting as we shoot for the pet meat trade and you have to head shoot them, sometimes you just want to reach out and touch it instead of driving after it and watch it disappear into the thick scrub.

I didn't think I would use one until I got one, it comes in handy for other things besides hunting.

I bought a Leica crf 1000 on sale from Euro optic for about $450 to my door. I dont know if they make them anymore. Anyway, solid little unit. Actually accurate past 1000 mts on bigger reflective targets, but good to go to 750 on small game ie; goats.