What Size Bino's ?

Just a quick one,

What size bino's are you using or do you recommend? Mainly for Sambar.

I'm looking at either 8x36 or 8x42,10x42.

Are the 42's still a bit bulky? I've got 50mm at the moment and just don't take em out stalking.

8x42 would be the best lowlight out of the three.

10x42 seems to be the most common size offered by most brands and used by most.

Would I get away with the 8x36,in regards to lowlight performance and magnification?

After something that is alittle more compacted that I'll take out , it sounds like I better get a chest harness too.

Thanks in advance

huntsmart

I always carry a pair of Leupold Golden Ring HD 10x42's, they have copped a beating for years. They come in the ute everywhere and on all walks. They are outstanding in the dark or when waiting for the sun to come up whilst glassing into the wind.

I tried a few harnesses and dont like them particularly with layering of clothing we do now and taking the harness off/on due to that.

Best for me now is the hunting jackets and shirts I wear that have a vertical zippered pocket next to the zip/button up front that lets me sit the binos around my neck on the supplied strap and sit them neatly in the shirt/jacket compartment. Protects them somewhat, too.

Seems to be a good compromise between size and magnifiication. Comparing the 8x42's on the market as well and hunting with a mate that has some, I can't quite imagine me ever having anything other than 10x42's.

i use 7x42 (ziess) and 8x42 barr and stroud, i have thought about going the 10x42 route as my eyes get worse but i think ill stick to what ive got and invest in a decent spottibg scope instead.

I use vixen apex pros 8x42 for deer hunting and they work very well in stalking situations and low light. Ive never needed anymore magnification.

When glassing hills I couple them with a spotting scope.

I also use a pair of 10x25 swaros when out shooting rabbits and foxes only because theyre small and light.

Ive tried standard harnesses but Ive found the s4 lockdown is a much better option.

Have a look at this link :

http://www.nikon.com/products/sportoptics/how_to/guide/binoculars/basic/basic_05.htm

If you do alot of low light glassing a 7x zoom might be a better choice.

Edited by AltonaHunter

Thanks for the info guys.

I got plenty of questions as I have to buy the binos off the net, no stores around here would stock binos for me to go look at. Misses told me to buy my own b'day prezzie this year, that way I get what I want.

For lowlight performance( considering same glass ) the exit pupils of the sizes I've been looking at would be

8x42 = 5.25mm

8x36 = 4.5mm

10x42 = 4.2mm

Really there isn't much difference between 36mm and 42mm (6mm) but how does that compare in binoculars , are 42's much bigger and bulkier than 36's? Or are they pretty much the same?

thanks again

Huntsmart...

heres a side by side comparision.

Whstlers Meopta 10x42 and my Wedgetail 10x42

IMG_1353WhistNWhelen.jpg

Things Vary with brands, although these 2 brands are very similar to each other! foucs knob, eye cups, size, finish....

im not sure how much Whist paid for his, but mine retail for around $500 I thinkkkss

wl

Edited by whelanlad

I bought a pair of 2nd hand 10x42 bino's (Andrews brand) for $40 and I've got to say for the $$ I'm very impressed, whilst they don't have the sharpness of the better quality stuff they are certainly very usable for my needs (whisting foxes and popping bunnies). I tested them out the other day and saw a fox at over 800m running along a fenceline and watched a few others come in at around 350m before being shot.

Just a thanks to everyone for their input.

Thought I'd let you know what I ended up with. I went the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 8x42,

From all the reviews I read online they are one of the better bang for your buck bino's you could get. There is plenty of better glass out there I'm sure but I'm a tight arse so the $190 for the bushnells was in my price range. I went with the 8x42 for the better low light performance and I think 8x will be plenty of mag for my hunting purposes.

regards

huntsmart