Experiment with knife handles

Rifletuner

So this is another version of the knife I made last year. I wanted to see what I could do with the profile. I bought a set of Chinesium handle scale material that is supposed to glow in the dark, so thought it might make a a handy knife for breaking down animals if you are taking a shot on twilight, or spotlighting, thermalling, whatever. It turned out okay, but its not nearly as visible in the dark as I had expected. The photo below is deceiving as it makes the handles look very visible, but to the naked eye it doesnt look anywhere near as visible..

Anyhow, the blade is NitroV with a full flat grind and tapered tang. The handles have a .5mm black G10 liner and Loveless bolts.

IMG-5376.jpg

IMG-5380.jpg

IMG-5382.jpg

IMG-5384.jpg

IMG-5374.jpg

• Like 8

I like the clean, simple and fairly basic design in a practical shape, should be nice to use. Nice work. 

11 hours ago, Rifletuner said:

that is supposed to glow in the dark,

RT below is an excerpt from a tale of a stag I took many years ago. Geez I wished I had one like your handle as even a glimmer would have helped me find it. In bold below. I found my GR on a return trip the next morning.

Quote: Knowing dark was imminent I took the obligatory photos although with the aid of a flash unit and then making up my mind to head skin and cape him out there and then under my "battery questionable " head lamp I got stuck into him. Then disaster! Placing my Green River skinning knife on the leafy carpet after an initial cut and prior to rolling the stag I simply couldn't find it after the roll over,frig it! EQ:

12 hours ago, gryphon said:

RT below is an excerpt from a tale of a stag I took many years ago. Geez I wished I had one like your handle as even a glimmer would have helped me find it. In bold below. I found my GR on a return trip the next morning.

Quote: Knowing dark was imminent I took the obligatory photos although with the aid of a flash unit and then making up my mind to head skin and cape him out there and then under my "battery questionable " head lamp I got stuck into him. Then disaster! Placing my Green River skinning knife on the leafy carpet after an initial cut and prior to rolling the stag I simply couldn't find it after the roll over,frig it! EQ:

Hey, thats it. Exactly the sort of thing I had in mind when I went looking for luminous handles  👍

47 minutes ago, Rifletuner said:

Hey, thats it. Exactly the sort of thing I had in mind when I went looking for luminous handles  👍

Rifletuner, you say you were a bit disappointed with the luminosity of the handle on that knife.

Is it supposed to be luminous all the time, or is it only as luminous as the "charge" that is applied to it?

Do you think there is too much happening with the other ingredients in the material?

23 hours ago, Foxdog said:

Rifletuner, you say you were a bit disappointed with the luminosity of the handle on that knife.

Is it supposed to be luminous all the time, or is it only as luminous as the "charge" that is applied to it?

Its Chinesium and I dont really know what its supposed to do. I just bought it off the photo which made it look pretty bright in the dark, but it didnt turn out that way. For all I know its radioactive waste from a Chinese nuclear submarine encased in resin - but probably not since I expect that would glow better. 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2